A Newbie Question For Sure

ametth

Sir Cool of Coronado
with my four track I have to do the same thing, I think it's because there are two busses, a left and a right. traditionally odd is left and even is right. so when you record you only want to record to one buss, either the left or right, otherwise you'll get bleed through, but when you play it back you can center it. I may be wrong, but thats what I think.

ametth

thanks Ameth...i think its a little clearer...the best way for me to learn i guess is to just keep expiermenting...I wish the owners manuals were a bit clearer..they tell ya what to do...but i like to understand WHY...oh well..ill catch on...thanks again

spin

hi...quick question...my 8 track manual says odd tracks pan left and even tracks pan right...but if im only recording one track at a time....can i just leave the pan knob in the center?...even if i do pan to the left or rightwhen i listen back it still comes out of both speakers..so isnt that mono? i am so confused lol please help...

thanks
Spin

I suggest even when you're recording one track at a time that you follow the same odd/even thing, otherwise you might not realize that you could be recording a single mono channel onto two tracks at once by keeping the pan in the center.

If you listen "properly" to a playback (by using the cue buss) yes, it will come out of both speakers. It's only when you mix down (an entirely different procedure!) that you pan the tracks to different places in the stereo field.

Back