Multi-track recording with Skype?

dwightmccarthy

I just found this site when trying to find a solution to my problem so any help will be greatly appreciated. I work for a gaming website and we have been using Audacity to record our podcasts. We live in different areas of the country so we record our files then send it to someone who puts it all together. Doing this on a weekly basis can be quite bothersome so I wanted to know what we can do to make it easier on ourselves. We already talk via Skype so I wanted to know if there is some app or software I can use to record the podcast via Skype but have it record on separate tracks. I need the multi-track recording because often times there will be background noise like dogs barking, on one persons track that I need to cut out. So if there is anything that will let me do that, paid or free app please let me know. Having to download 3 500mb files every week is getting old real fast. thanks in advance.

I don't think skype will cut it quality wise. Even if it does I don't know if there's a way to do it. Why not just convert the tracks to mp3? Most programs allow you to import mp3's and that should cut your 500 down to 50.

I had the same problem when I did a podcast. Our best solution was to do a double-ender; downloading everybody's separate audio track, which I can see you don't want to do. Our second best option was to record in Audacity through a mixer or to use software like WireTap Anywhere or Skype Call Recorder, but that only gave us two tracks: the host's track and a mix of everybody else. The only other solution I can think of is using a different conference service. There are a bunch out there and, although Skype seems to give the best quality, there might be a different service that comes with multiple recording options.

Good luck!

I share files on Skype with a guy in Germany. Just save each individual track as a WAV and send them seperately for him to reassemble in his program of choice.

i use imcapture. com IMCapture for Skype.it's prog for record audio and video calls.I like this simple prog.

Back