monitor and speaker

D-Gravity

Officially~> Yo-DHA
what s a monitor and how its differant from speaker? and how can i use it, like is ther anything i have to take care of while a set up one? like for a home mixin purpose. i dont have much to do wit recording vox. thanx ya ll.

$ .02

dont blame you for being alittle confused by this... the dirty little secret is THERE AINT NO DIFFERENCE.... now thats a giant generallization of course and now that you know you'll have to be sworn to secrcy or join the AES... now no doubt all monitors are not created equall ... and most of the tweeters in particularthat you find in home stereo "monitors" will roach in no time when faced with say the transient from a digital synth... but if there's so much difference then why have some of the most used "mastering level" monitors been audiophool type speakers???? the real diff is it makes us feel better to take the active role of monitoring rather than the passive of listening.... make sense???? shhh... dont tell anyone....

I sort of feel like it's the difference between Coaxial and S/PDif.
I might mix on monitors in my studio.
But I have speakers hooked up to my reciever in my living room.
(Actually I have KRK RP8s hooked in my living room, so I don't know what they are anymore.)

RAK said:
I sort of feel like it's the difference between Coaxial and S/PDif.
I might mix on monitors in my studio.
But I have speakers hooked up to my reciever in my living room.
(Actually I have KRK RP8s hooked in my living room, so I don't know what they are anymore.)

so you dont feel anything differant in those? by the way krk s not a monitor? that you have? what differance you feel in ur studio monitors and livong room speakers? ( i think i havent gotten myself confused)

D-Gravity said:
so you dont feel anything differant in those? by the way krk s not a monitor? that you have? what differance you feel in ur studio monitors and livong room speakers? ( i think i havent gotten myself confused)

My point was that "speakers" are really more of a consumer term, while "monitors" are a recording studio term. I mean "monitors" in a live setting, mean something else entirely (also known as wedges).

My KRKs definetly are monitors. I was just saying I use them as the back end of my "stereo system"

I think it's just a matter of use case, not even necessarily quality. I mean a $30k custom home speaker system is going to sound a lot better than my $500 pair of KRK monitors.
So, in my opinion, if you're producing music in a studio, they're monitors. If it's just for listening in a home environment, they're speakers. Ultimately I think the terms are pretty interchangable

This is just my opinion. Monitor is basically a verb that means the same thing as listening or cafeful observating. In this case, because this is sound / audio related site you would be monitoring sound.

So technoly(spelling?) Speakers and Monitors don't mean the same thing. Although sometimes when I say I'm looking to buy new monitors. I really mean I looking to buy speakers design for making music.

So in this case I have implied that I'm buying speakers. English is a funny language when it come to meaning.

Back