Monitor Setup/Purchase?

JPlush76

Well from being on here for a little while the general thought is my next step should be to get a set of monitors for mix down.

Question 1: How do you set them up? what do the monitors plug into on your computer? Any special hardware needed?

Question 2: Can I get a pair of powered monitors? or is unpowered with an amp better?

Question 3: Anyone have any monitor suggestions for under $400?

:)
thanks all!

1. You can hook them up to the output on your soundcard or mixer.

2. Either way.

3. I don't, do a search as this is discussed weekly. Maybe someone will jump in with a recomendation.

Yamaha MSP3 Powered Monitors - Review

Future Music magazine (http://www.futuremusic.co.uk) just did a review of the Yamaha MSP3 Powered Monitors (June 2002 issue, page 32). Their closing comments were as follows:

"Compact, affordable self-powered speakers to suit small set-ups on a budget. Bright sound with no real bass performance."

Based on their size (5.66" x 9.29" x 6.57") and their price ($150 each through zZounds.com), I wouldn't expect great low end response. However, if you're starting out (like I am), $300 bucks for starting monitors may be the way to go.

-ianda

PS - I looked online to find a reprint of the article and wasn't able to track anything down. Sorry.

Right or wrong, I've been using a mid-level consumer-grade integrated stereo amp since Moses received the Ten Commandments.

I've also been using, get this, Optimus LX-7 speakers. Don't laugh, the mixes turn out great on every other system I've ever tried them on, from friends systems to the raggedy old boom-box and everything in between. I don't know why this combination works as well as it does, I'm just glad it does. Too bad they dico'ed them several years ago. They are the best small consumer-grade speakers for monitoring that I've ever heard.

They are very flat and natural sounding, but more importantly, I know them. Very well. I have never invested in a set of professional studio monitors, though I thought about it many times. I'm not going to waste the money because I don't think I could get my mixes to sound as good on a strange pair of speakers after using the ones I do now for so long.

If you wanted to hook them up to your computer, you could use an amp or you could buy active monitors.

They should be set at ear level, turned in pointing at your mixing position, and they should be an equal distance from each other and your mixing position. Think equalateral triangle.

Ideally they should not be on the floor or in a corner. Nor should they be (usually) within a foot of a wall. Mine unfortunately are up against a wall but angled out because I don't live in a palace and real estate is at a premium. You will have to compensate for any of these conditions by carefully EQ'ing your mix. Again this comes from knowing your monitors.

Another important point is that for whatever your distances are with whatever monitors you use, you have to be far enough away for the bass wave to develop or your mixes will have too much bass responce because you will be compensating for something you haven't heard yet and roll up the bass. The opposite will happen if your speakers are on the floor and/or in a corner. Apparent bass responce increases and you will compensate by rollin the bass off and your mixes will have no bottom end, except on your system.

The distance for my LX-7's is 57" center-to-center between monitors and 57" from my position to each of the monitors at the center of the cabinet.

I have my position marked on the wall and on the floor so my ears are always exactly where they are supposed to be in the mix position. If I am anywhere else in the room while I'm listening to a mix I avoid the temptation to change anything because it sounds different away from my position. This is critical to getting consistent mixes and having them sound good played on different equipment.

I can't recommend a set of monitors as I've never priced any nor have I ever listened to any. I've heard that Tanoy's are great little monitors and JBL also makes good monitors. Mackie makes active monitors as does Alesis.

Hope this helps.

Senn... Dude... I've been looking all over for those blasted Optimus LX-7s... ebay... every radio shack resource I can think of... arg... Driving me nuts. I figure they're decent enough speakers and they're dirt cheap by now... If they were still in stores and on the computer, I figure I could get 'em for $20 a pair.

Know anywhere I could get those bastards? *LOL*

Edit: I didn't know about the equilateral triangle rule... thanks!

I have the Tannoy Reveals and they are good, not as good our school's Genelecs but for the cost of the reveals I'd say they worth to check out.

Riku

Those speakers (Cat #40-4063) were disco'ed way back in late '97. They were $279.99 EACH at catalog price.

I bought four at $49.99 each in '98. Some prices fall faster than others and they really bottomed these out in a hurry. I never did find out who made these speakers but I'm glad I took a listen and bought them.

They haven't been in stores for a long time and you won't find any at RatShack. Eventually, stock falls off the inventory deck and if they had any at that time the employees would have just packed 'em up and taken them home for free.

Keep up the vigilance at E-bay. It took me almost two years to find a music folio that I had lost previously when my basement flooded. I couldn't believe it finally turned up. But I got it.

Check every day so you don't have 20 pages to browse through. Eventually you will find them. Check every pawn shop you can find too. Check all the used gear sites on the web you can find.
There isn't anything on the web you can't find if you keep looking.

Good luck.

Yeah, i know they were disco'ed daaaaays ago... I know stock falls off the deck, but still, some shit sticks around for days, so I thought I'd check my computer at work anyhoo. Oh well... i'll just have to hope to get lucky and find some...

Ah, another 'Shacker huh? I was a manager for four years. I got out in '99. I didn't agree with their sales ethics, nor did I believe in half the crap I sold. Way overpriced too. I was good at it, but I hated it.

I know those are off the deck by now so even a search by your D.S. or R.S. won't do any good.

Have you called the outlet store in Ft. Worth?

Heh... yeah... i've been their bitch for nearly two years now. And I hate it. I'd like to find a new job that schedules me decently, pays me enough, and doesn't treat me like shit and the new guys get treated better despite me being there twice as long. But yeah, did the Regional search, and nodda'. Hmmm... outlet store... Know the # there? my manager who would know is on vacation...

Look in your Store Manager Reference Guide. Big blue binder stuck up on a shelf somewhere.

A lot of good shit in there.

There should be a company wide directory in the back. If not call the District Secretary or the Rapair Center. A lot of shit they can't fix gets shipped there and sold "As is" and for parts.

Re: Re: Monitor Setup/Purchase?

SPINSTERWUN said:

Event 20/20's. They are a GREAT purchase for just under $300.00 USD. ;)

the 20/20's are powered?

so no need to power amp or any of that jazz?

Sennheiser said:
Look in your Store Manager Reference Guide. Big blue binder stuck up on a shelf somewhere.

A lot of good shit in there.

There should be a company wide directory in the back. If not call the District Secretary or the Rapair Center. A lot of shit they can't fix gets shipped there and sold "As is" and for parts.

Oooh... damn good idea on the repair center shit... Thanks man!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitor Setup/Purchase?

SPINSTERWUN said:

No, the ones for under $300.00 USD are not powered. :(

ahha !!! spinster!
lol

how much do amps run?

does it matter if you get powered or non powered amps? any effect in quality?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Monitor Setup/Purchase?

JPlush76 said:

ahha !!! spinster!
lol

how much do amps run?

does it matter if you get powered or non powered amps? any effect in quality?

Well... As far as i know, the only benefit is that with the non-powered, you need a separate amp to power them... Powered, you don't need to use up another 4U of rackspace for an amp, or more deskspace for one.

As to whether there's actually a quality difference, I don't know...

what's everyone's opinion on this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9&r=0&t=0&showTutorial=0&ed=0&indexURL=0&rd=1
it's cheap, not too terrible, I'm guessing.... I wish I had the money to just buy it... But if no one else does, maybe I will.

Back