mixing board and computer recording

phatstadt

After a lot of studying, I'm purchased the VS1680. Great integrated unit, but I really don't like the display or the user interface which is a little clumsy.
So I'm considering 2 alternatives:

1. Spend an extra 250$ and buy Datasonics VS Pro Studio which would provide a better interface on a PC

2. Return the VS1680 and buy a mixer + computer for recording.

Regarding 1), does anybody use VS Pro Studio and could comment on how good/bad it is for the $$$?

Regarding 2), I'm trying to find a mixing board for 16 tracks in/out that would have all the effects/pan/fader on the board. In other words, I really like traditional analog mixers in terms of the usability. So the question is whether there exists a digital mixing board with analog-like controls that could be plugged into a computer? I know that Mackie has a nice 24 tracks such system, but at 9,000$, it's out of my league. Anything less ambitious for 16 tracks?

I've clocked my off-the-shelf P-II-450 system at 34 tracks playback while recording 2. With no effects; It crapped out when trying to do 36 and record 2. No Ultra ATA-66, but a 7200 RPM IDE HD (I've seen the HD for $180), 128MB PC100 SDRAM. Gina soundcard. With the added capability of many software effects on each channel in exchange for some of those channels. And the easy CD output via an internal IDE burner. Today I saw it: my 4x4x16 CDR/RW Yamaha burner for $249. Pumps out a CDR in 20 minutes. The PC remains the best bang for the buck in a digital multitracker. As to the mixer, another post today mentioned the Yamaha Pro-1 mixer ($700) that features PC control and digital outs. You're still gonna need the computer interface to make it work.

I agree with Drstawl on this it is great to be able to record more than 16 tracks and its great to have alot fo flexability and power you can add stuff as you go the 1680 cant unless Roland updates.... get a pc and learn alot about it and have a better studio then you thought and less fustration over lack of (BLANK)?

Back