Mixer for Podcast – Recommendations?

fin13

Hi.

I am looking for a Mixer for a talk-show Podcast that my friend and I are doing.

The reason we need a Mixer is because we want to play Music and Sound Effects and be able to talk over them, or be able to fire them off on-the-fly.

Does anyone have experience in this end, or have any suggestions?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
Jenny ;)

I'll admit i have no experience in this. but any mixer will do for playing music/sound affects and talk over them, but you probably need a midi keyboard or something to trigger sound FX, but I have no experience in midi so I can't help you there.

This would probably fill you mixer needs nicely --- LINK --- and you can patch a CD player thru the tape in RCA jacks, but to run sound effects and sound bites you will need something like this --- LINK.

Hi guys - thanks for the feedback!

ssscientist wrote:
This would probably fill you mixer needs nicely --- LINK --- and you can patch a CD player thru the tape in RCA jacks, but to run sound effects and sound bites you will need something like this --- LINK.
A few things:

1. Why do I need a mixer?

2. Is there a way I could click on sound effects/music on my computer (e.g. windows media player) and have them captured on the podcast recording?

Background
My friend and I are recording the Podcast through Skype, I'm in Toronto, she's on LA.

Any help would be great guys!

Thanks.
Jenny ;)

1. You don't totally need a mixer..but it's better to do so if you want to add an audio device to your podcast like a CD player or something...it just makes life easier since you could mix your mic's signal with any other source connected to the mixer.

2. I'm not sure if I understand it properly but are you trying to get your computer's audio output and record it?

p.s I'm in Toronto as well :)

In your first post you say:

fin13 said:
I am looking for a Mixer for a talk-show Podcast that my friend and I are doing
I post a link to a simple mixer.

Then in the follow up you say:

fin13 said:
1. Why do I need a mixer?
What do you REALLY want?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Hey guys.

I am really lost - that's why I'm in here, in newbies...you guys are right, I contradicted myself...

I guess I did so 'cause I don't understand it all...if I am bugging you guys...maybe there's a place I can learn more about this topic on the internet?

Any suggestions in that avenue, or through here, really are appreciated!

Thanks.
Jenny ;)

OK, we've established that you need help, and you've come to the right place.

Now tell us your problem and let us try to help you.

Hi ssscientist and everyone else!

I need a mixer, for a beginner, but there are variables.

And here they are:

- I live in Toronto
- The host of the Show (for a Podcast) lives in LA
- I am in charge of the Sound Effects/Music
- She is in charge of the recording/editing

Do I need a Mixer?

Thanks.
Jenny ;)

by the sounds of it that you wan't to "fire off sounds".
I'm judging you wan't to do a "on the fly " recording. than I would advise you get a mixer.

the audio signal (music from PC or cd player or something) could be plugged in to channel one. and you can use the fader to fade in, or fade out.

have the Roland SP-404 (or similar) to ch 2 to "fire in" sound fx's

and if you wan't you can have a third channel for voices

and since she's editing, it might be nice on her if you get a usb mixer to record it "multi tracked"

I think this is what you wan't to do.

hope this helps

You could easily put together your podcast without using a mixer.

Using any kind of multi-track recording software (and there are dozens, ranging from free to very expensive), you can build your podcast up in tracks. That's the way all recordings are done, whether it be songs or podcasts.

Other than the actual interview, there's nothing "live" about podcasts - they're a produced audio show. You need to take a bunch of components and piece them together into a finished production.

It seems to me that your basic track is the audio file that you've recorded from Skype. You'd import that into your software, and do some "cleanup" to remove all the ums, ahhs, mistakes, and glitches. This also gives you the opportunity to snip that audio file into pieces and either rearrange the pieces or put spaces between them for music or other segments.

You can then add other tracks one at a time, including music, sound effects, advertisements, spoken intros, etc. These other tracks "overlay" your original one. You can adjust the levels of each track - for example, you can bring in a music track, then "quiet it down" when it's supposed to be a background to spoken parts.

With regard to importing sound effects or other snippets, all software will allow you to import those in a variety of audio formats like wav, mp3, wma, ogg etc. After importing them, you can move them around on the timescale for that particular track to have them play at the appropriate time in the podcast.

You could easily send the project files back and forth to each other to work on the podcast, although it would make sense for one person to do all of the editing, in my mind.

Hi guys! Thanks for the feedback!

I want to do an on-the-fly show. The sounds and music that will be played will play a roll in our performance (we may comment on them, or better yet, react to them).

Adding them in afterwards creates a method we don't want to do, however, it sounds good for uses on other shows!

Jenny ;)

fin13 said:
(we may comment on them, or better yet, react to them).
Then you WILL need a mixer to bring in the sounds and music that you may be commenting on or reacting to.

A simple one like this (which is the same one I provided you with a link to last week) will let you not only use a regular microphone but also has an input for your CD player.

Hi.

ssscientist, gotcha...can I plug my computer in to this, so I can play all of my mp3s (music/sfx) through it...(because a CD player is Neanderthal these days).

Let me know.
Thanks.

Jenny ;)

Sure.

You will need to go to Radio Shack and get an 1/8" stereo cable --- for the computer headphone output --- that goes to 2 RCA jacks for insertion into the mixer in the jack marked CD/Tape.

If this project is going to involve your computer in another role before you pay anything or order anything or visit Radio Shack, be sure that the computer you're using is capable of running all the programs you'll need to run at once. Just a simple test of the recording/broadcasting program running alongside your mp3 player will be all that you will need.

Once you have determined that they will work on your computer at the same time you should be good to go.

Back