Long Time Reader First Time Poster! I Have 25k to spend! Help Me Please!

deadsound

It is time for me to change the layout of my entire studio with new gear! I have 25,000 to invest! I have been awaiting this time for years and I need help getting into the right setup!

MY SETUP AS OF NOW:

Computer: Mac Pro decked out pretty well with cores and RAM
Interface: Apogee Ensamble
DAW: Logic/Abeton/Reason and Pro Tools in 2013
Plus tons of plug ins

I have been running this system since 2012 and invested in Apogee to run with my Mac Book Pro back in 2008. I am getting into a new space, building an iso room and really going balls out with gear.

I share this to tell you all I want to start moving "out of the box."

Here is what I am looking to get:

About 10k in Outboard
One killer Microphone
One controller or analog console: Looking at SSL Nucleus and Toft (both around 5k)
Perhaps analog summing unit like Dangerous, Neve, or something around 2-3k zone

Here is what I need help on:

Right now I think that I am going to have to expand my I/Os. The Apogee only really runs 6 after the Main outs are taken out of the equation. I read several threads over the last week with people talking Apogee expansions dating back to 2009. I am not sure if I am in need on a Apogee 16x or Rosetta unit to add more I/O with Apogee. Obviously if the SSL Nucleus is the way to go I will use that as my interface.... not sure how I feel about not using the Ensamble at all I think it sounds great.

I am in need of 16 I/O. I want to run several outboard gear on tracks. Is the summing route the best way to do this?

I know that being the Apogee is I/O, on paper, that I can not run a summing unit that has more than 8 I/O. This is why I thought it was best to expand I/O and perhaps then invest in 16 channel summing unit. What do you all think?

I guess overall what I am asking, is if you had my setup (computer, ensamble, and a bunch of plug ins) what would you do??

Invest in Analog console and go less on Pres? Go the analog summing route? What would you add to expand I/O section? Keep Ensamble and add to it, or buy another 1-2 units which are better suited for more I/O?

I would really love to hear what you all think. I have been producing for 10 years in the box, and this is the year I make the jump out. I have investors on the line, projects starting in 2013 and I need to do some serious expansion!

Congrats on having some cash...!..I know you probably don't wanna hear this ( someone gonna say it anyway (lol)..)..You say you are getting a new space..?..I'd invest the majority of this money into making sure the acoustics/monitors are right..!..Having a great sounding room will probably make what you have already sound good..( been there, done that)..Anyway, if you gonna get new gear, a good sounding room will let you "audition" new gear and hear it at it's best..Good luck..

Congrats on having some cash...!..I know you probably don't wanna hear this ( someone gonna say it anyway (lol)..)..You say you are getting a new space..?..I'd invest the majority of this money into making sure the acoustics/monitors are right..!..Having a great sounding room will probably make what you have already sound good..( been there, done that)..Anyway, if you gonna get new gear, a good sounding room will let you "audition" new gear and hear it at it's best..Good luck..
Hahaha so right lol, hea dead I already answered on your other post, "you posted the same thing"...

Given your relatively modest budget obviously you're going to have to economize across the board. It'd be nice to go with high end RME or Zaxcom gear, listen to your mix on a pair of Barefoot MiniMain 12 monitors, but you'd have to double your budget and even then you wouldn't have any external pres, or anything resembling a mic cabinet.

I'd start off with a Midas VeniceF-16 ontegrated mixer/control surface and a pair of Focal SM-9 nearfield monitors which would give you sixteen channels w/pres, EQ, a control surface, and a pair of monitors for approx. $10K.

It'd be nice to offer clients a variety of micpres like the Manley SLAM, a Drawmer 1969, and a Great River MP-2NV, but that'll nuke another $12K and we haven't even gotten to the analog summing box or mics so let's pass on the boutique pres for now.

If I felt that a summing mixer was essential (you have to wonder how the Beatles ever managed) your choices are limited near as I can tell to Dangerous and Thermionic with both coming in at around $2.5K, so now we're halfway there.

I know you said only one microphone but... but... but.. buying one mic really isn't where you should be economizing. I'd at least get a matched pair of Microtech Gefell M930 large condenser mics for $2,800, a Royer Labs/Speiden SF-12 stereo ribbon microphone for $2,700, and a Shure SM7B dynamic for $350.

With only $7K left in the budget at this point that Manley SLAM is looking petty dear. Personally I'd dump the summing mixer in favor of a couple of boutique pres and get a Manley SLAM, and probably the Great River MP-2NV.

There may be enough left over to squeeze in a five pack of MoreMe headphones.

Now... if you had some REAL money to spend you could start with one of these...

2591_full.jpg

16 I/O tracks and you are only looking for one killer microphone? You must already have plenty of others right?

Back