line input trouble

cat-eggs

hi,

anybody ever try an 1/8" y-adapter on their computer soundcard's line in? i'm trying to plug my turntable AND 4-track line output both into the line in on my soundcard, and it works, but it makes everything 50% quieter (with the adapter). what the hell? anybody know what's wrong with that? really frustrating.

thanks,
pogo ellis

it's quiter because your turntable and tape deck do not have any amplification......they run minimum power...your amp is what powers the signal to your speakers...or in this case your soundcard....
Run them back through your stereo amp and then line out from your amp into the soundcard.....you can only do one at a time because your amp will only have one selected....
This is why we use mixers.....multiple inputs which are powered out to a recording device....
or multilple ins on a high end soundcard (big bucks...)
Careful though dude....
don't wanna blow your soundcard with your stereo amplifier.....ya know?

Good luck,
Joe

Joe's right, that's the way to do it.

The reason it is happening the way you have it currently connected is due to loading. The effective impedance of the devices you have connected together is lower than what your soundcard's input is expecting. As well, when you play a tape, some of that audio signal is terminating in the turntable (and vice versa). Hence a drop in level.

Most turntables also require a preamplifier (that's why there is a specific "phono" input on most amplifiers). The output of a turntable cartridge is much lower than that of a tape deck.

mike

okay, thanks. i guess i'll just have to keep unplugging and replugging until i get a decent mixer.

peace,
james sutherfeld

Back