Left/Right channels

Trenna

I'm using Sonic Foundry XP and have recorded a couple of different songs on one wav file. The ones recorded from a CD are stereo, i.e. two channels, and the ones recorded from line in are only on the left channel. Is there any way that I can copy the left channel to the right channel so I would have music coming out of both speakers if it were played on a stereo system or should I convert everything to mono and will I lose anything if I do? Also, will the sound be fuller, louder if both channels are used?
Thanks for your great help.
Trenna

Hi Trenna,

The ones recorded from CD are ok, so I assume your using some kind of CD-Ripper software?
What are you recording using the line in (cassettes, LP's) and also what type of soundcard are you using? I would assume the line-in is stereo, but not always. Your using a 1/8" stereo plug into the line in right?

Emeric

I'm using an audio editor, SoundForge XP. I only have one "line in" hole in the back of my computer and I do use a 1/8" stereo plug. I am running two stereo lines out of my audio equipment (playing vinyl and cassettes into audio receiver) and then hooking two lines that converges to one line into computer (Yahama soundboard) Toshiba brand.
How do I tell if the 1/8" plug is stereo. I have a couple. They both have two rings, but one has two rings the same size, the other has one smaller and all rings are black (no red ones)

Trenna

Hi Trenna,

Should have 2 rings for stereo. Sounds like your doing everything right, not sure why your only getting mono. Try bypassing your receiver and just go direct out of your cassette RCA's into the soundcard.

Emeric

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 07-01-1999).]

Back