just a random question

hipknot01

in all those studios they have those huge mixers....i dont understand how they get those mixers to work with their computers. like how do they get them connected. im prtty sure its not firewire and i know its not usb.

A/D converters these take the analog signal turns them into numbers for the PC to read a wahla you have wavs on the PC. I'm just guessing but sounds correct. :D

Don't really know either, but if I had to guess I would say they use optical cables which can carry multiple signals at a time from the drives to the desks while keeping the tracks separate.

2 stone is right, it is A/D convertors along with your soundcard.. I have Motu 2408 plus 2408MK3 and Rosettas 800(3) and run it into both my boards my behringer 2442FX and Mackie Sr24, I just love that warmth and love using my outboard compressors, plus I do analog summing on all my mixes.. However there are other ways of doing this too.

Rosettas into a behri?
well, weirder things have happened...

It also depends on the console, some are all digital (like a D5 etc) which would take an AES/EBU from the bit-collectors and then make a mix, other wise it's something like

Bit-Collector -> D/A -> Console -> output media

for mixing and

Pres -> mixer (inserts)-> < - A/D converters -> Bit collector
.....................................- Monitor/headphone mix

For tracking.

Alternativley, they could be useing (shock horror) tape, and hence it would be an analouge chain the whole way thorugh (the nerve of some people, I swear... don't they know we invented 0's and 1's for a reason?)

Last edited:
Rosettas into a behri?

What's wrong with that? My signal is not degraded.. Just because it's behringer it doesn't mean it's crap.. If used properly.. I get great results from the board.

hipknot01 said:
in all those studios they have those huge mixers....i dont understand how they get those mixers to work with their computers. like how do they get them connected. im prtty sure its not firewire and i know its not usb.

this might help. Our producer has a 72ch ssl console, not sure which one though :confused:

http://www.solid-state-logic.com/

good stuff but very expensive, I think it also answers your question on there somewhere if I remember correctly.

-C$

**EDIT**
this is his board
http://www.solid-state-logic.com/music/4000series.html
the 4048G+

Back