Izotope 4

ste20man

Hi,

I've just tried to master my own song using Izotope 4 and as it is running, it seems to work ok. When I export to an .mp3 to get a final track, it is clipping quite badly even though it is not when it is a running live project.

I've got Izotope 4 on the master bus and the limiter section is set to go no louder than 0.3db.

I don't see how it can clip/have unwanted artifacts with the limiter on? I had about 4db of headroom with minimal spikes at random times, not that often to be honest.

Has anyone come across this? It's a pain 'cos I like to use Izotope.

The only thing I can think of that is probably not advised was that I exported the project out into a mp3 file so I could use a fresh project to master. In that original project I took off 3db on the master bus 'cos with everything running it was a little hot and did not really have any headroom. That's all that I can think of. Maybe I should have mixed it all again to get some headroom with the master bus in its original position? Not sure if it makes any difference.

Would be great if someone could offer advise, cheers, Ste.

Try a different MP3 converter. It's not at all uncommon for uber-smashed files that DON'T clip as PCM data to freak out as MP3.

"It's MP3 - Deal with it" to some extent. It's a marginally decent, incredibly lossy delivery format.

You may find that files that are less MP-whacked (320kbps, high VBR's, etc.) *don't* clip, while the same file at 192 or 160kbps is a constant clip factory.

It *may* even make a difference if you export as PCM and THEN convert, as opposed to exporting to MP3 on the fly.

Back