impedance

bobbo

I was looking at the specs of a behringer mixer and the impedance of the mic inputs are 150 ohms. If I were to purchase an AKG 3000 condenser mic with an impedance of 200 ohms, would I be losing much quality in the sound? I looked at an equation for this in shures site, but my calculator doesn't have a log button on it. Could someone give me some ideas?
Mackies VLS series says theirs are 1.4 kilo ohms. Is that correct? That seems like such a big difference in models that are supposed to be similar. I might be wrong about their spec. though.
Thank you.

Dear Bobbo,

You are worrying too much! 200 ohms and 150 would be far apart if it was output impedance for speakers but for mics they're practically identical.

In any case, you read the Mackie specs right but the Behringer specs are not as detailed (cynics would say because this would prove their stuff is exact copies of the Mackie); they both measure input noise at 150 ohms because that is a typical mic output impedance, and they would both have a mic input impedance of much higher (such as the 1400 ohms you mentioned) to avoid loading down the inputs.

Many people don't bother reading before they jump into this stuff, here I think this is a case of you knowing a bit too much :) Don't worry, better safe than sorry.

In general, you can safely assume that all modern professional-style mixers will work properly with all modern professional-style mics. In other words, if they both have XLR plugs, you're fine :)

Hi Dragon,
Thanks for the confidence, and yes you are correct, I can be quite worrisome sometimes. Not being too familiar with some of these products along with being kind of a thrifty shopper (I like to shop at the Salvation Army and find stuff for nothing)makes me a little crazy sometimes. My wife thinks I'm pretty strange.
Its wierd, I purchased this behringer and was afraid to tell anyone because it seemed like it was quite cheaper than its fellow mixers, and that I would be sorry if I were to get it. But I smile when I think it has sweepable mids on four channnels because I saw a few messages in this BBS about that.
I thank you again for the reassurance and help.
bobbo (the worrywort, not the wall wort)

Back