How to play custom sounds on a MIDI keyboard?

I LOVE YOU

Hello, I am new here and very afraid.

I wish to make 5 different sounds play in different pitches on one keyboard.

It should work like this:

I have a midi keyboard (Yamaha PSR-275) connected to a computer; I wish to connect 5 different sounds (that are recorded with a microphone) to each octave on the keyboard. As if I press keys on one octave- computer plays one particular sound in 7 different pitches, one pitch for each key; if I press keys on different octave- computer plays totally different sound in 7 different pitches.

How can this be done?

What software should I use? I have LMMS installed already.

Well - quite a few bits of software can map zones on your keyboard to sample sets, but recording lots of samples, editing them and making them up into usable sample sets isn't that easy if you've not done it before. It's a fair amount of time and editing.

LMMS can handle sound fonts, so if you are a wizard with it, no problem. Sadly, I'm not. Have you explored how it manages samples and key mapping yet? Probably one of the spiciest forums is a good place to start - not sure how many of us use it here?

Well - quite a few bits of software can map zones on your keyboard to sample sets, but recording lots of samples, editing them and making them up into usable sample sets isn't that easy if you've not done it before. It's a fair amount of time and editing.

LMMS can handle sound fonts, so if you are a wizard with it, no problem. Sadly, I'm not. Have you explored how it manages samples and key mapping yet? Probably one of the spiciest forums is a good place to start - not sure how many of us use it here?

Thank you for reply.

It might not be easy, but I am up for it. :) do you know any tutorials on mapping zones on keyboard for sampling? And how to make one sample sound in 7 different pitches?

This depends on how you want to do it. There are two ways, one with a computer and a VST samplier, map just like Rob stated. The other way is a hardware samplier, works much like the computer but it is all self contained. Most sampliers allow for you to map (say a sound and you want it ti start in middle C) and then it adjust the sound to the key being played. Pretty much does it itself with an algorithm based processing.

Depending on the samplier, it could be one sample, and then program for various effects (multi processing for a chorus effect for example) and it does the pitch conversion for you. Or, you take multiple samples and map each one then group as an instrument.

It is not hard, but as Rob stated, it can be tedious and you will be forever tweaking it.

I can't answer your question, but I just want to say that I LOVE YOU too.

This depends on how you want to do it. There are two ways, one with a computer and a VST samplier, map just like Rob stated. The other way is a hardware samplier, works much like the computer but it is all self contained. Most sampliers allow for you to map (say a sound and you want it ti start in middle C) and then it adjust the sound to the key being played. Pretty much does it itself with an algorithm based processing.

Depending on the samplier, it could be one sample, and then program for various effects (multi processing for a chorus effect for example) and it does the pitch conversion for you. Or, you take multiple samples and map each one then group as an instrument.

It is not hard, but as Rob stated, it can be tedious and you will be forever tweaking it.

Thanks, I will use VST sampler. :)

There is a free program called Viena that you can use to create the keyboard mapping using your samples.

You can find it here: SynthFont Main

I didn't find it the easiest of programs to use, but it does the job ok.

You can then use a VSTi such as SFZ to play it.

Back