how exactly do you hook up a mixer?

Gary

I know that I can plug the output of both my sound module and my Mac into stereo inputs on a mixer. The main output of the mixer will connect to my powered speakers. However, when I'm trying to, for example, record vocals into my Mac, which output on the mixer would connect to the Mac input? Is that what Aux Send is for?

Thanks.

Well, you could use the aux, more often used for routing effects, reverbs, delays etc. What type of board is it? Does it have direct out's on each channel, or inserts? If it has direct output on each channel, run out from there to the input of your soundcard. If not, use the inserts.

Emeric - I'm looking at the Behringer MX602A. I don't think it has separate outputs for each channel. When you say use the inserts what does that mean? What is an insert and does the Behringer have them? (looking at the online picture I don't see anything labeled Inserts).

Thanks again.

It doesn't appear to have inserts. These are used mainly for patching signal processor like a compressor or noise gate into one channel on the mixer. But, they can also be used as an output.

If you haven't bought anything yet, maybe elaborate on your needs. Do you use more than one microphone at a time? Are you recording drums? I think you would want at least 2 XLR inputs so you can do some stereo micing.

I've never used the Behringer mixers, but from what I've read on this board and other places, the manufacturing quality isn't the greatest. If you don't need a bunch of mic's running at once, there may be some better options for you. More details.

I have the MX 1602a and it has two R/L main mix inserts, but no inserts on each channel. As for the quality of the mixer...I don't find it to be all that bad, especially for a beginner, and the price is hard to beat unless you buy used. Over all, I think it's a pretty good bang for the buck, and for just starting out it should be just fine.

-tkr

Emeric,

I was considering purchasing the mixer for two reasons - first, I need a preamp to record mainly vocals and acoustic guitar using my mac (with a dynamic mic). As for mixer, I have the audio outputs of both my mac and sound module going into my powered speakers. However, I'd like to separate these before they hit the speaker. I'm strictly on my own and have no need for more than one mic input. As for quality, I'm really just recording for my own pleasure so don't need pro quality. I am undecided about purchasing the Behringer or the ART Tube MP (if I go with the ART, I guess I would just forego the mixer at this point).

So back to my original question, do you know what output I might use to go into the mac? Tekker posted an item about inserts but he seems to be referring to a 1602a, not the 602a..

Thanks

With the 602 I would connect the CTRL room out to your powered monitors, and use the main out to connect to the Mac inputs.

Back