How do mixers work?

AcidJizz

I found a mixer with 8 inputs, does it have to have 8 outputs? Ahhh, like for example if i put my guitar in one input and microphone in the other. And lets say i have a sound card with at least 2 inputs. Would I be able to output JUST the guitar, and output JUST the mic at the same time? Like so i can edit them individually but they'd record at the same time? Ahhh i hope you know what i mean =) Like would there be an output for the guitar and another output for the mic on the mixer... ahhhh hehe =)

Mixers usually have any number of inputs, and multiple pairs of outputs called "busses". The minimum busses for a stereo mixer would be the left/right master buss. Other mixer configurations consist of a master buss (left/right) and then additional 2/4/8 busses which give you 2/4/8 outputs separate from the master buss.

In the most basic of mixer configurations (a stereo mixer), you connect the left/right outputs to the stereo input of your sound card. You can then separate sounds by using the pan control - so for a guitar and vocal track, you pan the vocal fully to the say left, and the guitar fully to the right. On the master output, the vocal appears on the left and the guitar on the right - which you can then record each on to a separate mono track.

Geddit?

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

ahh but what if i have more than 2 inputs?

what if i had like a guitar, vocals, drums, bass guitar and possibly something else.... The way you said to do it soudns like you could only do 2 channels that wa...

If the mixer is equipped with more than a master (left/right) buss, then each input channel has switches to select the buss you want the signal to appear at. In a simple stereo mixer with only a left/right master buss, the PAN controls dictate where the signals appear.

In a simple mixer, you only have 2 main outs. On an 8-buss console, you have 2 main outs (at least) PLUS 8 buss outs (more than likely paralleled for 2 sets of 8 buss outs).
In addition, 8-buss consoles will also have direct outs on each channel.

Bruce

Back