Hard Disk vs. CPU Recording

undotorture

Yes, I am a newbie to the world of recording...scratch that. I am new to the world of spending-a-bunch-of-money-to-make-a-decent recording. My question refers to the use of hard disk systems as opposed to computer recording.

Is it worth it to go with hard disk? I'm not a huge fan of using the computer to record (my brain works better with knobs than with a screen), but it appears that, to use a hard disk system (think MOTU, etc.), i would need a seperate mixer since there are no channel strip sections, or a mixer for that matter, on such hard disk units. what mixer (at the very lowest of the low end) should i look at before going out and buying a big damn thing that has more features and outs and front side buses and digital in and outs and word clocks and all that mess than a newbie like myself can comprehend? for that matter, what hard disk system? this is basically a really general "huh?" to hard disks.

How about going for one of those Digital Multitrackers.
The likes of Tascam and Yamaha make several models that are a combined Mixer with PreAmps, Line Ins, VU Meters, Hard Disk or Flash card memory etc.
They are a update on the old Tascam Porta Studios and work just great for making home recordings without going down the Computer route or spending a fortune on an ADAT type hard disk set up.

Back