The Good, The Bad, The Ugly??

JesusFreak

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?? The Korg D1600

Hello Everyone,

Well I think I'm about ready to make my choice as to a recording option. I think that I have decided on the Korg D1600.

What I'm hoping for here is for anyone that either owns one or knows a ton of things about it to tell me the pro's and con's of it. And could also tell me the other info about it. Like wether or not the built in pre-amp is good enough or should I buy a separate one. Are there any other effects or compressors or limiters or whatever that I would need to get going.

Also, If the Korg isn't the way to go, what other All in one would be the way to go. I'm planning on spending about $2000 US on the unit alone.

As always your advice is very much appreciated. Thanks for your time guys.

God Bless!

Last edited:
The Good, The Bad, The Ugly And The Smart One.

I'm the smart one around here. You got that?

Why did you decide on the D1600?

I have a VS1880, but I hardly remember why I chose that one. And I'd go the computer-way if I had to make the choice again. So, tell us, why would you get the D1600, and we'll tell you if that's a good reason.

About standalone mic-pre's: they will always be better than whatever you get in a workstation like that, whether you buy a Roland, a Yamaha or a Korg, almost any standalone unit will sound better.

Limiters and compressors: the thing about digital recorders is that you really cannot overdrive them. Clipping on any input is a big NO. Analog was alot more forgiving for that. So, depending on what you'll be recording, a compressor/limiter might be one of your future purchases...

And don't get too fixed on all in one solutions. I had that idea too, but I'm changing my mind on it...

I've been using a D1600 for a year and still love it. I've got a modest rack full of preamps, compressor, limiter, gates, and reverb, and the D1600 is the best purchasing decision I've ever made. It's extremely intuitive, has many well thought/designed features, and sounds great.

I'm not a big fan of the preamps, but seem to be in the minority on this point. Most folks over at www.korgboards.com seem to like them. The D1600 has a lot of built in effects, some of which are good and some not. The 'Insert' effects are banks of many verbs, delays, compressors, limiters, etc.. that can be applied to a track either while recording or afterward, during playback. I find the limiting useful, but don't like the compression. There are several insert effects, and although they're all not of the highest quality, they're not the worst either. The fact is that many of them are useable, and to accommodate 8 tracks with such an arsenal of outboard effects will cost you quite a chunk of change. You will want to acquire additional gear (pres, compressors, etc) as time goes on, but the D1600 is more than cable of quality recordings right out of the box. There are far too many pros to it (just about everything, how about 16 faders :)) than I care to get into right now, but I'll do my best to comment on any specifics aspects of it you may have in mind. As for the cons, there aren't many. No effects sends in definitely my biggest gripe, but there is an Aux Out that can be used. Not the same, but it can work.

Of course, there are other DAWs that are comparable to the D1600, but I'm sure you'll here from their owners.

Good luck!

Oh I forgot to mention that the Final Effects bank is very useful. These are independant of the Insert effects and are used in the "mastering" stage. Most of them are quite nice, actually.

Don't listen to Roel - he made the mistake of getting a Roland because he thought he liked the name :D :D :D

Recording with a mouse SUCKS!

Back