Gates Q?

sunnydyz

how can i make sound (string) apear only after the other sound (kick - witch should be a trigger for gate) plays. result should be: there is no kick and where it used to be there is a gap in a string. i gues it is gatting q. or not? but gates eliminates soft sounds like noises etc... of cause its a tresh settings but i can't get it right. i'm newbie plus english is not my native so please explane as clear as posible :)

Are you using a computer? If so, which software?

Or a hardware studio? What board and gates are you using?

I recommend you go to the Steinberg website for customer support.

They should be glad to see you since you spent $2000 on their flagship software package.

Same goes for Waves. I believe their gates are available in their Gold Bundle which goes online for $2600. You should be a very welcomed customer there too.

let me get this straight: when the kick drum is heard, you want the strings to be heard right?

set up a gate on yer kick drum track so that only the kick sound is coming thru. then on the kick track set up an aux send (let's say yer using aux 1).

now set up another gate on your strings track. your gate must be side-chainable. this means that the signal read by the gate to control the string track is no longer the string track, but a signal set by your self. there should be a "key listen" button, maybe it's just a picture of a key. set that so that it's switch on, and when it asks for the key input (the sound that you want to trigger the gate), select "aux 1".

mess with threshold, attack, hold and release settings so that it sounds good to you.

i want the strings to not be heard when the kick hits. is it posible to do that? i guess it should be some switch on a gate to let "only noise" to be heard. but your technique is realy instresting. i never heard that i can take gate (going from aux-1) to be used by other gate as an input, but i'm not sure that i saw "side-chaine" function on a waves gate, but if it has i'll definetlly will try side-chaining gate. thanx MessianicDreams.

sad but waves gate don't have side-chain option. waves comp has it but it is EQ side-chain and not for sends input. maybe there is some way to compress a string where the kick hits to make a feel that strings disapears there?

sunnydyz said:
.. maybe there is some way to compress a string where the kick hits to make a feel that strings disapears there?
Yes, there is a work-around for ducking with a compressor. That would be to send both to the comp/limiter mixed so that the kick is quite a bit higher than normal. Then when it triggers the comp, the background is pushed down in the mix.
A down side besides not being as straight forward might be getting the compressor to not screw up the sound of the kick.
Wayne

Using the compressor's sidechain (triggered by the kick) to duck the volume of the strings is the way to go.

You would be better off with a program like Reaper. It is free and features true sidechaining. Most DAWs require really complicated work arounds.

Back