First desperate cry for help. there shouldn't be too many more : )

kidserious

Hello all. Thx in advance for the help I am sure I will get in solving this likely very simple trouble.

I'm a rather old dude ( 58 ) who was very serious and active in writing and recording music back in the 80's and 90's, during the analog days. Life came up, as it does, and I haven't done much with it the last 15 years or so, but now I'm giving it a serious try. I do know a bit about this stuff. I had a DAW back in 2008 with Cubase on it, so I understand it all conceptually, and I know enough to work with midi.

I'm a poker-dealer in Seattle and I'm out of work for another six-weeks, at least, so I'm making a pretty serious effort to make some music again. I've got a very adequate computer and hardware setup, the Cakewalk DAW installed and working, and for the last 3 days I've been plunking around and learning how to use it. But last I reached the point where I was ready to start installing some softsyths and such. I tried about 15 or 18 different VST's, and about half of them went swimmingly. The other half, not at all. Tellingly, the success stories were the ones that pretty much took care of themselves, so to speak. The half that did not work out well were the ones that required a little more from me. Specifically I am helpless with the downloads that open into two ( or more !! ) separate folders, one with the dll, and others with the sounds, and sometimes some mystery stuff. Apparently the trouble is with how I am handling the sound files, I think they are mms files ? Not sure. I think they are sample. Not sure. I know I need to get them " valid ", then somehow placed into the DAW so they can be played by the corresponding player in there.

Whew.

I've spent 6 of the last 12 hours online, looking for vids or text, trying to figure this out. I really can't find a thing. And that's weird, cos you can find help with just about anything online. Not this, it seems. Makes me think I'm just missing something so incredibly simple and obvious that only me and like 4 ever people have ever had to ask about it before

But yeah..... I'd love some help, guys. Thanks now, and for sure later

Let's all stay safe and healthy !!!!!

They may be mse files.

In Reaper they need to be in the same directory as the dll files, so I'm guessing the same would apply to Cubase

yes, I did see mse on some of the files. pretty sure I tried dragging them over to the VST folder, but had no luck. I will try it again. After dinner. Rumbly in the tumbly. Thank you for your time

If you installed the "add ons" with Cakewalk you should have the (SI) studio instruments suite. Large drum synth with lots of kits, a very convincing string section and a versatile electric piano. Besides that the Cakewalk TTS synth has about any instrument you can think of. I'm assuming when you said you had Cakewalk installed you meant the latest "free" 64 bit Cakewalk by Bandlab. I've got a few older Sonar synths and ones I've downloaded and installed ,but can do it all with the included instruments. mark

Back