external hard drive advice

Smellytele

Howdy! Complete newcomer here. I really need some advice on external hard drives. I have a 2014 Macbook Pro (retina) and will be using Logic X for mostly mobile recordings of my 3-piece band. I've been reading about using an external HD for recording but I could really use some advice on which products I should look at and which to avoid. Is budget an issue? Well, yes, but I'm okay with paying a little more if it's worth it in the long run. The cheapest I've found is a HGST on Amazon. I have read to make sure to get something that is 7200, but is there anything else that I should be looking at? Seriously, ANY help or advice is very much appreciated. I did do a search here, but all it's done is made me more confused because they vary greatly in the dates they were posted.

Don't know how cheap you need it, but the HGST is a WD cheapo, so yeah, it would be less expensive. Even a 2TB Seagate is under $100 ($82 on amazon). So given the choice of 1TB for $60 and 2TB for $80, I'd def go with the 2TB. WD and Seagate have good track records with their USB 3.0 devices on Mac. You usually have to dl the drivers from the manufacturer as they're not Apple recognized. (or so I've heard. I'm a Windows guy.)

7200RPM isn't absolutely necessary, since you'll likely be reaching the limitation of USB3/firewire long before the drive has a hard time keeping up.

Back