drum programming

jp11801

I am a guitarist/bass player and want any easy way to build drum tracks. I used Acid but finding loops that fit the song I wrote isn't easy or possible some times. I am using n studio freeware, guitar tracks, acid and trying sonar with no luck. Will something like fruity loops have a tool to build a drum track or cubase? Thanks!

DR-660 is great, but I'm just too lazy to sit down and program drum beats. Fruity loops is much quicker to get going - plus you don't have to worry about cables.... They each have their place.

psmith66 said:
DR-660 is great, but I'm just too lazy to sit down and program drum beats. Fruity loops is much quicker to get going - plus you don't have to worry about cables.... They each have their place.

I just bagged FL 3 the other night, but have an installation problem with the old FL 2.7 I have to clean up first. Neither uninstall in W2000 for some obscure reason.

I wish someone could explain to me how to use FL in terms a dog could understand as it's totally Greek to me and the helpfile is nearly nonexistent. Are there any FL newbie sites out there?

I'd also love to know if it's possible to have anything come out of FL that would pass for a straight instrumental drum track in a straight instrumental song. Sure aren't any in the demos, which all sound like club-synth, without exception.

As always, thanks for any help.

bongolation:

I hate learning curves, so I downloaded the fruity loops manual and followed the getting started tutorial. Once I figured out how to create patterns and organize patterns into songs, I started climbing the curve very quickly. Mind you, I only use FL generally to create drum tracks (which I import into ntrack), so I don't know a lot about the other aspects of the program. But adding a synth pad to patterns is really pretty easy - plus the copy/paste function is great. It did take a while to get acceptable drum sounds (the default kits generally sound very synth-like) but that aspect's steadily improving. I have a blast adding different sound sources, effects, turning dials, etc. And a great advantage is, after importing to ntrack, you can go back to the flp file, make changes, and replace the old import - with no adverse impact on synchronization. Or create a simple synth pad or whatever and import it into your tracking software as an additional track, separate from the original drum track.

I'm a guitar player and I commonly think of song ideas and arrangements before I pick up an instrument. The less time it takes to get a basic arrangement down, the better - then I can concentrate on PLAYING.

Where do I get good drum samples for fruity loops?

You hit the nail on the head. The fruity loops drum sounds sound like dance club samples. Where can I get a decent sounding drum kit for FL?

Pete

Pete,

You've got to experiment. Yes, the Fruity demos and pre-mades sound like garbage. But there are enough tools within FL to get a decent drum sound (of course, keep in mind it won't replace real drums soundwise) - the key is rolling up your sleeves and getting into it. It won't take that long, and you'll probably get a "kick" out of it (sorry, pun was completely accidental).

Yeah, a drum computer is much more better than drum software.
You've got it more 'in your hands'.

But if you want to use a program, Hammerhead is very simple and just not more than a metronome, but though, I love it!

samples

if youve got logic, cubase, or the like, just get some samples of the different parts of a drumkit and then program it however you want it.

You can go try FL or midi or even mod-trackers, but if you want a "real" drum sound easily, then go over to a friend who has a decent kit and record some sounds (or buy a sample cd) and then edit the sounds and plonk them into a program like cubase.

Once youve got the basic drum sounds you can have a standard rock beat with variations in about 2 minutes..... and with crashes etc. - its very easy to add them where you want them.

i recommend skipping the whole concept of drum loop programs. Although they are based on samples etc. the programs just dont have enough scope to create a "real" drum sound. Use cubase or Logic, add some reverb, left-pan the snare and hihat a bit.... put the ride a bit to the right and it all sounds pretty good.

Also when you have everything in the same program and you have the tempo finally working with your gee-tar playing, you can just hit record and away you go.

hope this sways you !!!

PS: I use a combination of midi, real drums and samples and have found the samples to be the easiest and quickest way to get results that I can then play a guitar with.

Back