Do you have to setup ableton Live 8 every single time I use it?

amando96

I bought a midi controller(M-audio keystation 88es) and I haven't touched it for 2 months because it takes me 30 minutes to setup ableton every single time I want to use it.

There must be a better way, right?

Thanks.

A better way than what? How are you doing it?

30mins is a long time for something simple like that.

What do you mean by setup? I have two MIDI instruments I use, keyboard, I don't really do anything with that and drum pads. Drum pads, if using Ableton's drums, will require you to create a drum set that maps to your controller.

If you can give a bit more information, might help.

I connect the controller and turn it on, turn on ableton, and as I press keys I can see the midi light go on and off, but I have no sound.

I then have to fiddle with settings in the preferences, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, mostly because I lose patience.

I don't have a dedicated sound card, and I'm using Asio4all driver.

I doubt my computer is the issue, i5 at 3.4Ghz, DDR3 16GB Ram, 1TB hard drive at 7200rpm, GTX650 1GB DDR5 graphics, but a proper soundcard is in the shopping list hoping it will solve the long setup time.

I connect the controller and turn it on, turn on ableton, and as I press keys I can see the midi light go on and off, but I have no sound.

I then have to fiddle with settings in the preferences, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, mostly because I lose patience.

I don't have a dedicated sound card, and I'm using Asio4all driver.

I doubt my computer is the issue, i5 at 3.4Ghz, DDR3 16GB Ram, 1TB hard drive at 7200rpm, GTX650 1GB DDR5 graphics, but a proper soundcard is in the shopping list hoping it will solve the long setup time.

Since the sound card is a part of your computer, then it is your computer ;)

I have Ableton and have used it with two other sound interfaces, M-Audio and Presonus and have never had any trouble with it. But they have dedicated ASIO drivers. Plus, I don't think that is your problem.

You're still not really telling us what you are doing, but it sounds like you are trying to play a MIDI instrument and want to hear it. In order to hear the MIDI while you are playing, you either have to arm it and make sure monitoring is turned on (you don't have to record, just arm it), or use a pass through (It is the button far left under monitor OFF/Auto/In. Plus you have to make sure an instrument is in the track (or assigned to a track that does have an instrument (that is a bit more complicated).

Check the help guide on playing and monitoring MIDI (I think this is your biggest issue and can be confusing at first):
Make sure it is not a drum (as that instrument will need to be mapped to certain notes)
Make sure the instrument you are playing plays within the keyboard range you are trying to play (some are mapped to play in the upper level, some in the lower regions, some in the middle)

Check this out: recording-audio This is pretty much the same for MIDI.

Hope this helps.

After setting the 88 es as input, and Coolsoft Virtual MIDISyth as output, I arm the 3 keys acoustic piano, and there's no sound, again, the midi activity light blinks as I press the keys.

After setting the 88 es as input, and Coolsoft Virtual MIDISyth as output, I arm the 3 keys acoustic piano, and there's no sound, again, the midi activity light blinks as I press the keys.

Check the monitor setting OFF/Auto/In.

Back