DMP3 or TubePre if I have a Firebox? And how would I connect them

mellotron

I'm looking to get an external preamp, since I'm not looking to totally ditch my Firebox yet. Oh yeah, and I also want to try recording vocals with a dynamic mic (I've attempted with an SM57, but I don't get enough gain, even with the boost in the PreSonus mixer.

Would I just need a TRS cable to connect from the external preamp's line out to my Firebox's line in? And would a PreSonus preamp work better with my Firebox than a DMP3 or does it not matter? Thanks.

I'm looking to get an external preamp, since I'm not looking to totally ditch my Firebox yet. Oh yeah, and I also want to try recording vocals with a dynamic mic (I've attempted with an SM57, but I don't get enough gain, even with the boost in the PreSonus mixer.

Would I just need a TRS cable to connect from the external preamp's line out to my Firebox's line in? And would a PreSonus preamp work better with my Firebox than a DMP3 or does it not matter? Thanks.

The DMP3 has a balanced 1/4" output for each channel. So all you need is a TRS or a TS cable and you'll be fine. This preamp has tons of gain, so make sure you are in low power mode until you get familiar with it. If you overload the firebox inputs, you won't be able to get away from the distortion.

I don't think I've ever seen another preamp deliver the same bang for the buck as the DMP3 does.

Hey, digging up an old thread. :)

mellotron--if you're still around, did you ever end up buying that DMP3 and if so what did you think of the results?

I also have a Firebox and the pres on that thing blow dead bears. My LDC mic works OK but like you said, I couldn't even think of using my 57 or any other dynamic mic for vocals. :mad:

I guess I'm just wondering if it's a worthwhile purchase or a total waste of cash.

Thanks
MattDee

Hi Matt,

No, I haven't bought it yet. I think when I started this thread I somehow forgot that the firebox control panel has the input level boost +12 for all the inputs, though that's still not enough for vocals.

Yeah, for now, the firebox pres are enough for me, especially since I probably won't get good results trying to record vocals with a dynamic mic, although I am in an untreated room. I think I was considering it since I only have one SM57 and one Naiant omni. I'm planning on getting a cheap LDC, maybe Studio Projects B1. For recording electric guitar, it's enough for me.

Just wish they'd made the preamps as powerful as the headphone amp :)

-Mike

i've researched this problem and discovered that the boost is only a digital boost, so i guess boosting doesn't get around the issue of the gain problem. there's probably no change in sound quality, if not worse due to all the amplification of the noise.

so the firebox actually has up to six preamps? even though the dmp3 has 2 mic inputs, if i recorded into the line inputs, it would only allow for a mono signal, right?

so yeah, i guess i'm still in the hunt for a dmp3. not sure how much of a sound quality improvement it'll make though and if it'd be worth it.

Back