Digital Multitrack Recorders

HepMeSumbody

Hey, I need guidance! I play guitar and want to make some recordings - since I have no experience and don't want to clutter my computer with too much extra software, I'm looking at self-contained digital multi-track recorders. I'd really like bass modeling, since I don't have a bass. And I'd like drum tracks, too, although I would probably eventually get a drum machine. Guitar modeling isn't crucial, since I have a POD xt. My computer is Windows 98 and has USB ports and a CD burner. I'd like to have at least 8 tracks, and the most important thing is USER-FRIENDLINESS! So far, I've been glancing at offerings from Boss, Zoom, Korg and Fostex. My budget probably maxes out around $800 for now. Any suggestions? THANKS! :)

I suggest you buy another computer and use that. It will last you longer, be more flexible for upgrading and effects and be a better all round solution.

The Zoom MRS1266 will probably fit the bill for you. It is has a drum/bass machine, lots of insert and send/return effects, 8 mono tracks, a stereo track, and a master track. Each track has 10 virtual tracks.

The 1266 without the CD burner and with the USB option should be right around your budget. You can put your own CD burner in it later at far less cost than having Zoom include it.

Thanks, DK...I'll take a look at the Zoom. jono,I'm not sure I can get an adequate computer and all the necessary software within my budget. If you have any suggestions along those lines, I'd love to hear them. Thanks again for your time!

Yeah go for the stand alone recorder. There is a major convenience factor to not using a PC. At your budget, you should be able to find offerings from Korg, Fostex, Roland, Zoom and Akai. Do your homework and research these units and you can always bring your questions back here.

What am I doing wrong? I currently am using a zoom mrs-4, with smartmedia cards- I am trying to send and record my finished mixes onto CD. First off, I bought "cakewalk" music creator 2003. Which confuses the heck out of me- is there an easier way to get my music onto cd? I am going to try sending from mrs-4 to a cd/rw recorder and hope that works. if anyone has a suggestion that any simpleton like myself may be able to figure out, let me know. I do not have alot of money to invest in an upgrade at this time, I am looking at the zoom 1266cd , which seems to be the easiest solution, but @ $1000 isn`t what I want to spend yet.
any help is greatly appreciated.
Rich

bowlAminor said:
What am I doing wrong? I currently am using a zoom mrs-4, with smartmedia cards- I am trying to send and record my finished mixes onto CD...

Dunno if this would work for you, but you could use a wav editing program, something that can record and edit wavs, and Nero burning rom or any other burner app. I use Sound Forge as an example because that what I'm messing with and it's common.
Hook your 4 track outs up to the line in on the computer, use Sound Forge to record the song. Adjust the levels so the loudest part of the song doesn't exceed -3 db or so. Let Sound Forge start recording a few seconds before you start the song on the 4 track, then let it record a few seocnds after it's finished. Then edit the start and end of the wav file to clean it up a bit, save it by using the name of the song as the file name, and repeat for all other songs. Maybe play each wav file back to make sure it sounds okay.
Then once you have all the songs in wav files you can simply use Nero or another burner app to make an audio CD out of those wav files. There's other audio burning software that normalizes the tracks and does other neat stuff, but I can't remember any specific names other than CD architect... btw...Don't work for Sonic Foundry. ;) They seem to have lots of cool apps though and I'm just getting into this too, so I've ben messing around with their stuff more.

Hey Helpme I would look at the Yamaha AW16G which is a sixteen track digital recorder that is now selling around $1100-1200. I have the AW4416 and love the machine, while the Aw16G does not have as many bells and whistles as the 4416, it is getting great reviews and I have read the spec's and for the money is the best machine on the market in that Price range IMHO. The sound qality of my machine is awesome, check it out.

Thanks for your input, iwanarock. I've read up on the AW16G and it looks like a great product. It appears to have programmable drum sounds, and I'm sure additional drum tracks can be imported from CD. But what about using my guitar for bass tracks? It doesn't appear to have bass modeling...is there an affordable box on the market that could do that for me? (ie., Boss, Digitech, Zoom, etc.) If so, I'd definitely consider budgeting up a bit to include the AW16G on my list.

Also check out the Boss BR-1180. This has 10 tracks with 8 virtual tracks each. Plus a programmable rythm track. It has the COSM effects with some bass simulators, but I'm not a big fan of them. These machines are very easy to learn.

Hardcore, you da man! Thanks for the info on the new Boss unit. I was originally looking at the BR532, and then the 1180. From all I've read, they're the most user-friendly units out there. But my eyes were getting too big for my wallet, and it really sounds like the BR864 will be a good way to start without a huge investment. Thanks, amigo, you just saved me mucho dineros...now I'm a little bit closer to that THD Univalve...

One more comment on the this Subject, I wouldn't purchase a DAW just based on it its BASS Modeling capabilities. I would buy a DAW based on its overall recording power, flexibility, effects processors, EQ's, Dynamic processors, # of of Virtual Tracks, # of Inputs, integrated Pre Amp, # of tracks it can record and playback, mastering capabilities if any, phantom Power capabilities, sampling ability, backup capabilities, ect, I think you get the idea.

Oh, I get the idea...my needs in terms of tracks, inputs, mastering versatility, etc. are going to be pretty limited as I start with this, especially compared with my limitations as a bass player and computer jockey. So I'm thinking of starting simple and if I seem to be any good at this, I'll upgrade later (at which time I'll definitely be looking at the Yamaha AW16G :) ) I know about the problems with the bass modeling but don't seem to have any other options right now.

BTW, what exactly is "Phantom Power capability"?

Thanks again for your input, iwannarock.

HepmeSumBody .... Phantom Power is what you need if you ever buy or have a Condenser Microphone to use with recording, condenser mic's usually require phantom power. Some recording systems come with XLR inputs that have phantom power that you can turn on or off if needed, without phantom power a conderser Mic wouldn't work.

I understand your point on your requirements would be limited to start, but you know the old saying you either pay now or pay later, I would just consider all the points I mentioned as well as the price difference when making your decision. Don't get me wrong there are several very nice digital recoding system out on the market some 8 track, some 12, some 16, but you may be surprised how quickly you will start looking for additional tracks, effects and capabilities as you start to get into this. It really depends on the price difference of the units you are looking at. One thing of note is the the 16G comes with a Sampler with over 270MB of included sounds as well as some hig quality drum samples and loops. Not sure if any Bass samples are included. Good luck on your decision.

Thanks again for the important info! If I'm going to invest in a good mic up front, I'll probably want a condenser mic. Do some of them have an internal battery or is there another way around the phantom power requirement (ie., a mic preamp)?

what about Fostex?

Hey, what about the Fostex VF-80? It's an 8-track recorder with a built-in 20GB hard drive, for $500! You can even get a built-in CD-burner with it, for a total of $700 (personally I don't think it's worth getting the burner, and you can always add it on later anyway).

VF-80: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...102685712/search/g=live/detail/base_id/101813

There's also the VF-160. It's a bit over what you said you wanted to spend though (it's $900). But it's one of the most popular models from what I've heard, and it has a built-in 3-band EQ, built in compression (!!!), two independent multi-effects DSPs (!!!), etc.

Here's a link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...9102685712/search/g=live/detail/base_id/55872

check E-bay for Akai DPS-16. These recorders were way before their time. Also compare the specs on this one to the newer recorders out. It blows them out of the water.

Back