Digi 002 Help

earlynovember73

On the Digi 002 Rack, it says it can record up to 18 tracks at a time. Now, if I wanted to record 18 mics at a time, what would I need in order to do this? I know there are 4 mic ins, then 4 1/4" ins but can you plug a mic straight into those and they will be alright without the XLR? Then the other 10 tracks are...? Just starting to think of a set up with Pro Tools. I know the software but not familar enough with the hardware configurations yet. I don't know if I would use a mixer since I will be doing my mixing in Pro Tools but would maybe use a controller so I don't have to use the mouse so much. Thanks.

earlynovember73 said:
On the Digi 002 Rack, it says it can record up to 18 tracks at a time. Now, if I wanted to record 18 mics at a time, what would I need in order to do this? I know there are 4 mic ins, then 4 1/4" ins but can you plug a mic straight into those and they will be alright without the XLR? Then the other 10 tracks are...? Just starting to think of a set up with Pro Tools. I know the software but not familar enough with the hardware configurations yet. I don't know if I would use a mixer since I will be doing my mixing in Pro Tools but would maybe use a controller so I don't have to use the mouse so much. Thanks.

The others are available through ADAT lightpipe. Meaning, you have to buy something with preamps that has ADAT out. Like the M-Audio Octane.

Got it. Now, for inputs 5-8 which are 1/4" ins, should I just purchase a 4 channel preamp for that and I would be all set to use them for mics?

you could infact do that.
i have the digi 002, i use a behringer ada8000 for the adat lightpipe.
i also have a behringer ub2442 mixer, and that had direct outputs on channels 1-8, so i can just use the direct outs into inputs 5-8, for 4 additional mic pre's.

you can also get 2- 2channel mic pres, or any combination of 1's and 2's. i would maybe get a 2 channel this way if you want to really step it up into a killer 1 channel, theres no wasted inputs/money :)

also, you have 2 channels of spdif, and there are some mic pre's out there with digital output, i was looking at the ART DPS, i think it's called. theres two versions, the analog and the digital.

i also got a controller, the behringer bcf2000, i like it a whole lot. the only thing is that i doesnt have label on the buttons, which is because its universal and the buttons do different things in different apps. i want to get another one now, but you just have to label the buttons, or just use it so much you can do it in your sleep!

sixways said:
The others are available through ADAT lightpipe. Meaning, you have to buy something with preamps that has ADAT out. Like the M-Audio Octane.

8 of them are adat, and 2 are s/pdif. s/pdif isn't so popular though.

I was checking out the Tascam US 2400 controller... I'll have to read up on some reviews on that. I would love to have an analog board such as a Ghost or something but it would just be a waste just sending the direct outs to Pro Tools and that's it. But thanks for all of the help!

Back