crossovers?

Hi Chris!

Let's put it raw: a crossover is a device that allows you to split an audio signal into 2 or more channels so you can use (for example) different speakers...some speakers and monitors have "passive" crossovers inside so the high freqs (say above 500 Hz) go to the "tweeter" and the Low freqs (below 500 Hz) go to the "Woofer"

--------------L----[BANDPASS1 - BANDPASS2]----BP1 to LF Speakers
--------------R----[BANDPASS1 - BANDPASS2]----BP2 to HF Drivers

(audio signal) (Crossover) (Speakers)

Get it?

Peace...

PC

You have passive crossovers which come in almost all stereo speakers where the crossover points are usually set and untunable. Active crossovers are ususally stand alone devices for biamping and triamping where you have different amps for the lows, mids, and highs. The signal is sent to an active crossover where you can set your crossover points then send each signal, ie, low high etc, to their respective amps then on their respective speakers. This way you can say, maintain the high volume when turning up the low end. The low end usually soaks up 75-80 percent of the amps power sometimes leaving the mids and highs lacking, this solves that problem.

Good post dragonworks! I will add a bit of clarification...(read: boring dry stuff...:))

There are 'technically' called Frequency Dividing Network(s), because that is what they do, divide the inputted frequency range (the sound source).

Crossover is actually the term used to describe where the frequency divide. It is actually called the "crossover point". Where one range of frequencies crosses over to the other. Crossover is a bit handier to say than Frequency Dividing Network, and audio manufactures like to make their devices sound user friendly...:) So, Crossover is the sort of slang name for a Frequency Dividing Network. Let's say that again! Frequency Dividing Network. Sort of has a ring to it when you say really fast, and using that term around people will make them think YOU are smart! Just ask my mom!!! ;)

Now for the fun stuff. I really don't have time for this as I should be getting ready to go mix sound at a club, but what the hell! I AM the real talent tonight, so the performers can wait....LOL

First, as you probably already know, different speaker sizes are far more efficient in creating certain frequencies than others. A 15" speaker, because of it's bigger MASS will move more air at 100Hz with the same amount of power applied to it than a 12" speaker would. But, BECAUSE of that mass, it would not be as suitable as the 12" speaker would be at 500Hz. So, each speaker in the system is best suited for a certain frequency RANGE. Cool. Now, how do we get the proper frequencies to the right speaker?

Passive crossovers (as mentioned ealier) are usually mounted on the inside of the Full Range speaker box that has two or more speakers in it. A full range audio signal from the amplifier arrives at the passive crossovers input where the signal is routed to a couple of different circuits that absorb certain ranges of frequencies, or "filter" them. Obviously, we don't want bass frequencies going to the tweeter (not only can the tweeter NOT handle high voltages with bass in them, they are also too small to push enough air for us to really hear the bass at all...) and inversely, we really don't want high frequencies going to the bass speaker (the bass speakers mass make it hard for it to produce such quick vibrations....thus, the high frequency it tries to produce is serverely distorted from it's original form...), so these filter circuits assure that the power coming into it goes to both circuits, AND that the proper frequencies are filtered at the circuits output which in turn goes to the appropriate speaker.

So, passive crossovers are POST AMPLIFICATION crossovers. They tend to not work quite as well for varying reasons, none of which I am qualified to elaborate on. But I have HEARD the difference many times. Also, passive crossovers tend be less efficient in distributing power, again for varying reasons. So, More overall power is needed applied to the speakers to create Sound Pressure Levels that are the equivilent to Active Crossover Networks.

Active crossovers are a PRE-AMPLIFICATION crossover. This means that instead of it being after the power amp, it is before! :D (duh huh? LOL) Active crossover deal with Line Level signals and use circuitry to filter frequencies. Also, Active crossover RE-AMPLIFY the line level signal AFTER it has been filtered to assure that a high Line Level signal is present at it's output. Thus, you don't need an amplifier with as many watts to create the SPL you want from the speaker since the amplifier ONLY needs to be dedicated to reproducing a range of frequencies. Remember, passive crossovers filter energy, and don't make up for it, so some power from the amplifier is wasted in this filtering. Active crossover don't suffer from this. What little energy is lost can easily be made up for (and in Line Level signals, we are talking milliwatts...) with other circuitry.

Active crossovers are also more versatile because (as was stated earlier) the crossover point (at what frequency the divide happens) is adjustable! Coolness! Passive crossovers are specifically crossedover for the specific box it was designed for. The active crossover can work with just about ANY box.

Crap, I just don't have time, and this is complicated shit to understand. Do a search on Passive Crossovers on Google (http://www.google.com ) and you will find many wonderful websites dedicated to crossover explaination, design, and all that other geeky stuff! :)

Oh, by the way, my opinion? Passive crossovers have worked fine for MANY years in home stereo and studio monitor speaker enclosures. Active crossover are the ONLY way to go for a large sound system, mainly because you don't need a crossover for every box in the system, which could be a LOT of boxes. One crossover and several amps is all you need, and you will have several amps anyway, so the active crossover become a big bargain!

Anyway, do a search and read up. Understanding how a crossover works is not all that hard to figure out once you start reading about.

Good luck.

Ed

Back