Cassette Tape to CD ?

Paul33

Probably a dumb question but I have a couple of old audio demo cassettes that I'd love to convert to CD before they deteriorate further ........ but how do I do it ?

I've got a newish 2.4Mhz PC with a big hard drive, a CDR drive and 512mb RAM and it has Nero burning software onboard (although I've not used it yet !).

Do I need anything else or can I do the job with what I have ........ if so, how ?!!!

Any help would be appreciated !

You need recording software. That and the correct patchcord to connect your playback deck to the line input of your soundcard is all you need.

I've done that stunt with the Windows recording software. An official recording software package may give you more, but why not try it with what you have?

Windows gives you 60 seconds,then cuts you off. On this board, I learned that you can build longer record files by first recording a blank 60-second piece, saving it, then inserting it into itself until you have the right length.

Also on this board, I learned that the record settings default tot the worst quality, so you have to find and set the quality to CD quality.

I have moved recordings from tape to my computer, but have not yet burned them to CD. I'll be watching the responses to your question to learn how.

"You need recording software. That and the correct patchcord to connect your playback deck to the line input of your soundcard is all you need."

So come on, give us some clues ....... please ?

What software ? Are there freeware options out there ? Any recommendations ?

Patchcord ? What's a patchcord and how do I know what I need and where to go for it ?

For a typical consumer PC that has on-board sound hardware, the patchcord typically needs to be one that has a stereo 1/8" miniplug on one end (the same connector that is used for Walkman-type headphones) and a pair of RCA jacks on the other end. The RCA jacks would go into the Tape Out jacks on the back of the cassette deck.

As far as freeware software, I'm unfamiliar with anything personally, but why not check someplace like Shareware Music Machine at http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/ or Tucows at http://www.tucows.com or

Well this being my first post on this BB, I'd like to say hey to everyone. I've been reading and reading for a couple of weeks now, and have found a lot of usefull information.........as well as a lot of confusing as well.

I too am interested in taking music performance cassettes and "cleaning" them up to transfer to CD (Like music demo tracks used for providing music for volcalist) I have some that arn't available on CD and would like to create my own from the originals

I've got a new Dell, 2.8, 512, 80 G.HD.blah, blah, blah........I'm thinking of using the M-Audio 2496 card.

Isn't there a specific software out there for casset transfer to CD?? You'd think that there would be. I know they've got stuff for LP's ........like for taking pops and crackles out.

So basicly I just take my tape deck and hook it up to my sound card (no preamp needed or anything??) and then find some software to do the work? (this is where you guys come in and suggest some decent SW :) )

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Rick

Paul33 said:
Probably a dumb question but I have a couple of old audio demo cassettes that I'd love to convert to CD before they deteriorate further ........ but how do I do it ?

I've got a newish 2.4Mhz PC with a big hard drive, a CDR drive and 512mb RAM and it has Nero burning software onboard (although I've not used it yet !).

Do I need anything else or can I do the job with what I have ........ if so, how ?!!!

Any help would be appreciated !

I do this a lot. Use the cable approach suggested by AlChuck. Connect to line on your existing sound card.

Get TotalRecorder software from www.highcriteria.com. Costs $12 and is worth every penny. Will record and/or convert about anything. Also has some basic editing to get rid of noise at front and end of tracks.

Ed

I read on the highcriteria sight that you connect your tape deck using the head phone out jack..........wouldn't it be better to use RCA's, or do you have to do something different for that?

Since the signle goes through the sound card, then on to the rest of the process, does the sound card effect the actual quality of the recording when transferred to CD, or does the sound card only effect sound reproduction through the speakers? (will using a better sound card produce better results? SB live vs. M-Audio 2496???)

Thanks a bunch!!
Rick

WERNER 1 said:
I read on the highcriteria sight that you connect your tape deck using the head phone out jack..........wouldn't it be better to use RCA's, or do you have to do something different for that?

Since the signle goes through the sound card, then on to the rest of the process, does the sound card effect the actual quality of the recording when transferred to CD, or does the sound card only effect sound reproduction through the speakers? (will using a better sound card produce better results? SB live vs. M-Audio 2496???)

Thanks a bunch!!
Rick

I/ve done CDs, tapes, and reel to reel this way. No audible change in sound once recorded.

Ed

Yes, a better soundcard will have better analog-to-digital converters and so your results will be better.

Cool! I kind of figured.......but one never knows

I just "aquired" a copy of Cool Edit Pro 2.0, will this work well for the tape to CD tranfer?

I haven't dove into it yet.......lots of reading there as well..........

Thanks Thanks Thanks!!!! :D

Back to reading............

I use a freeware product call "Audacity". You can get a copy at: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Plug the cassette deck line-out (speakers) into the line-in of your computer, configure Audacity for "Line In". Works like a charm for me. I use it to put old vinyl and cassette to CD.

Audacity can also export to mp3 with lame.dll (See audacity docs for more info).

Audacity has a fairly good noise reduction capability and a few effects.

Jay

Actually I got the CEP from a buddy of mine who has WAY too much money on his hands, and not enough time. :) Lucky me eh!

I still have to get a sound card, no one localy carrys it.

This probably isn't the right place, but before I bite the the bullit and buy my sound card does anyone have any other suggestions for a good quality card for around $150.00 US? I'm looking at the M-audio 2496 at this point.

Thanks,
Rick

Back