Brand new Pro Tools User

phunkbase

I'm still new to the home-recording endeavor, although I do have about a year's worth experience with Cubase LE4, I just moved to Pro Tools LE 8 with the Mbox2 Mini. I'm running it on a 4 month old HP Pavillion DV6 with Windows 7. It's got an Intel Core i3 processor, 3.8GB of RAM and 207GB of free hard drive space. (That's all the pertinent information I can think of regarding my question)

Now ever since having installed Pro Tools, the computer will freeze up completely, and then shut down, restarting a few seconds later. I have no idea why it's giving so much trouble to the computer, and I'm familiar with all of the "mac is better than pc" arguments, but I never had a problem like this with Cubase, so I'm wondering if there's something I'm doing wrong.

If anyone could be of any help, it would be much appreciated, and if there are any other pieces of information about my hardware/software that I left out, let me know and I'll put it up here.

Thanks a lot!

This is only my best guess...

It may be a compatibility problem with windows 7. You can have win7 emulate an older version of windows such as Vista or XP for that program only. This may be a work-around for some errors or crashing.

To do this right click on the icon used to start up PT LE 8.
Scroll down the menu and choose "Properties."
Next find the tab at the top labelled "Compatibility."
Check mark the box that says, "Run this program in compatibility mode."
Click the (down arrow) list and choose an older version like vista or XP.
Click APPLY and then try running the program.

Hope this helps.

Back