Bid decision !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rubo4

I'm just getting started in composing music - my scene is Psy Trance/Techno. I'm using a PC PIII -550/ 280 Ram ( with dual motherboard) will add another CPU if my system doesn't hold up. I also have an Ensoniq Fizmo Synth and I'm getting a microwave xt in a month. Now the big question is Soundcard. Which one would be best suited for electronic music? I won't be recording guitars and other instruments just a couple of synth and then FX processor maybe. Could you please give advise and experience on the following cards which features are good and for what:

1) Echo - Mona, Layla 24, Gina 24, Darla 24

2) Digidesign - Digi 001

3) Midiman - Delta 66 0r 1010

4) RME - Hammerfall 9652 ( the one I'm really interested )

Also could you suggest an online store with cheap prices? Is there a site like http://www.gearprice.com but only for soundcards and MIDI Interface?

And what the hell is an A/D converter - what do you use it for?

P.S. Somebody offered me a Korg 1212 for $100 - is it a good deal? Is the card any good?

Thanks, Boris

Boris,
an A/D converter? It means analog to digital.
All soundcards do that, it means playing into
a mic, then the converter turns your music into
zeros and ones, computer talk.

Some A/D converters, like Apogee, get really insanely
expensive, but the ones in a decent soundcard are
fine for home recording.

If you are just doing synth recording, all those
soundcards will work great, find an inexpensive
one. I looked up the Korg 1212 for ya.It is older
and discontinued, and it is a long PCI card.
It is 16 bit, where most cards now are 24 bit.
I would pass, but it is a good price.
Cheers,David

Now those A/d converters are they built in the sound card or you have to add it. Also is it only analog to digital or can you do digital to analog too.

Another thing is I've checked the Hammerfall specs and didn't find any info on the a/d converter. Does it have one? if not is there a separate one I can add, does it have to be made by RME.

Thank, Boris

Boris,
All soundcards have A/D and D/A converters.

A/D for inputs, D/A for outputs.

I dont know the hammerfall card, but they all
work in the same fashion. I am not a techno type,
but I would assume the soundcards you mention
have similiar A/D converters, dont really know.

I would concentrate on what you need for inputs
(how many), outputs, midi, digital I/O, etc,
and make sure the card works well with your
software. Cheers David

Rubo4 said:
I'm just getting started in composing music - my scene is Psy Trance/Techno. I'm using a PC PIII -550/ 280 Ram ( with dual motherboard) will add another CPU if my system doesn't hold up. I also have an Ensoniq Fizmo Synth and I'm getting a microwave xt in a month. Now the big question is Soundcard. Which one would be best suited for electronic music? I won't be recording guitars and other instruments just a couple of synth and then FX processor maybe. Could you please give advise and experience on the following cards which features are good and for what:

1) Echo - Mona, Layla 24, Gina 24, Darla 24

2) Digidesign - Digi 001

3) Midiman - Delta 66 0r 1010

4) RME - Hammerfall 9652 ( the one I'm really interested )

Also could you suggest an online store with cheap prices? Is there a site like http://www.gearprice.com but only for soundcards and MIDI Interface?

And what the hell is an A/D converter - what do you use it for?

P.S. Somebody offered me a Korg 1212 for $100 - is it a good deal? Is the card any good?

Thanks, Boris

I don't own one but I have been doing some pretty intensive research into the soundcard market and am fairly knowledgable in the area. By and large any of the RME Hammerfall series seem to come highly recommended, You probably wouldn't go wrong with any of them. Just be sure to get one that matches your I/O needs.

The Korg 1212 seems like a pretty good card for the cash, only 2 analog ins though, lots of digital I/O but you don't need those unless your keyboards have digital outs or you plan on getting a digital mixer, probably not. Don't let the fact that it's 16 bit put you off, people put way too much stock into 24 bit. Unless you're a pro and make a living off doing this 16 bit would sound just fine for you.

If all you need is 2 analog in and outs and your computer chassis will accept a full length pci card I'd say try the Korg. Especially if it's someone you know that would let you try it out first.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't think you would need another cpu, I know people that run audio on far less capable machines than you have. Good Luck!!

[Edited by Stratamatic on 02-06-2001 at 22:39]

if you don't care 'bout 16 bit you can get a sb live for ...

well not much anuyway...

greetz guhlenn;)

Back