Basic Cubase Help! Recording Vocals "Dry"

Centropolis

Hi, I gave up learning Cubase 3 years ago and continued to use my Boss BR-600 until last week, I decided AGAIN to try computer recording. I went and bought a Steinberg UR22 interface and installed Cubase AI 6.

I want to record vocals and acoustic guitar at the same time. Since I only have two inputs and two outs, I can only do this mono I guess. My question is, I am recording the acoustic guitar using a Zoom A2 effects pedal that will be plugged between the interface and my guitar so I will need to record whatever effects applied by the Zoom onto Cubase. But for vocals, I want to record dry signals to Cubase and only apply EQ, reverb and other effects AFTER tracking and when mixing down. However, I want to be able to hear reverb in my monitor headphones when I record.

I just want to find out how to record vocals dry onto the track but hear effects in my monitor headphones.

The way I do it is to set up a Group channel who's destination in your main out. Put a reverb plugin on that using an insert. Then route your vocal track to the Group, engage the monitor (orange dot), and you should be in business; reverb in the headphones, dry vocal on the recording. Hope this helps.

Why not just put a reverb insert on the corresponding audio track you are recording into? I don't believe the reverb will be recorded onto the vocals. That way you'd just have to unload the plugin later and re-process it as you wish.

Back