aux send recieve for drums

Joejoe

i have the art sgx 2000 and i wanted to use it as an effect processor (noise gate comp, reverb, etc..) to record drums..how does that actually work...i want to have lets say 3 mics or more and be able to pan with having that effects for each mic..or whats the best technique for doing a submix for the drums..greatly aprreciate the info..

Okay, let's see if I understand the question. Correct me if I misunderstood your question.

You've got three mics on the drums and you want them panned. Each mic will be on its own channel on your mixer. Say channel one mic is panned left, channel 2 center and channel 3 right. OK so far?

You also want to use your reverb on all three mics right? And you want the mic that's panned L to have a reverb that's also panned left. And the Center mic to have a reverb that's panned center. Etc.

If I'm on the right track (no pun intended) here's what you can do:

1. Use a stereo reverb.
2. Feed it from TWO auxiliary send outputs from your board. Let's say Aux. 1 sends to the L input of your FX processor. Then Aux. 2 sends to the R input of the same device.
3. On the channel that you want to pan left (in this example channel one), send Aux 1 from that channel to the FX unit. Send channel 2 equal amounts from Aux 1 and Aux 2. And... you guessed it...channel three sends from Aux 2 only. Get it?
4. Make sure of course that you've got a stereo return to your mixer to ensure you get the panning effect.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure where you're going with your submixing question but at least this may solve one of your problems. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, huh!

good luck.

i have 1 aux send with left right recieve..i believe then
the aux send would be a 1 stereo plug which i have going to 2 mono..then i have the same thing that says #2 next to it which has knobs for amount of 1 &2 aux send and recieve ..so im confused becuse if i hook up a reverb processor to aux send recieve #1..then my aux knob on track 1 i can put how much i want but when i pan anywhere i only here the raw original sound panned but the effect is still in the center..thanx for the reply..

Sorry, I don't understand. You say you have one auxiliary send in one place and in another you say there's two. Which is it?

The other thing, each auxiliary send by itself is MONO. Plugging a stereo jack into an auxiliary send doesn't change that. Your pan pot on the channel has NO effect on the aux send output.

As I said before, the way to pan your effects is to send separately from Aux 1 and Aux 2 to the Left and Right inputs respectively in your FX unit.

If you tell me what board you use maybe I can help you figure this out.

Let's keep working on this and see if we can solve your problem.

.i really appreciate that.i have the behringer eurorack mx802a.im recording drums tomorrow for my friends band..and im going to the studio and renting some mics..if you have any suggestions on that..well im also confused about the aux cus then theres another one that says aux #2.i really need to have everything come out on the recording included toms and other cymbals..
im going with a mic on the basskick another on snare (my sm57) and 2 overheads..let me know if theres an easier or better strategy to this..or maybe kick and 2 overheads (3mics)..
the other thing is that..what do i do for raddling in the drums and if you can hear allittle of the snare in the basskick mic..thanx

To keep the other drums from bleeding into the kick mic try laying a blanket over the kick. I've done it before, solved my problem.

With the Behringer you have a mono send and a stereo return. Plug the Aux Send 1 into the line in on the effects box. Then plug the Line Outs (L+R) into the Aux 1 Return (Stereo). You then turn up the knob that says Aux 1 on the channels you are using. Panning the channel itself should give you the panning you want.

Either that or if the drums are the only thing going through the board, put the effects box inbetween the board and whatever you're recording onto. I do this for when we play live, since vocals are all thats coming out of the PA, and all I want is a slight echo/delay. Just plug the Left Out into the Left in and so on. Hope this helps!

jake

Back