Alt 3&4 Bus on Mackie 1202

Dave Brophy

I've got a Mackie 1202 vlz Pro being shipped to me,which I bought mainly for the inexpensive pre-amps.I'm recording onto a 4-track MiniDisc porta-studio.
I've downloaded the manual from Mackie's webpage,and the description of the Alt 3&4 stereo bus leaves something to be desired.At least to this newbie.
My question is this.Can I run the Main L+R stereo bus out to 2 tracks of my recorder,and the Alt 3&4 L+R stereo bus out to 2 other tracks of my recorder,so I can record 4 discrete tracks simultaneously?
(I've read here about using the channel Insert jacks as direct outs by plugging the jack in half-way.But that's a pre-fader send and I believe you don't get to EQ the signal.)

Ok,I should've searched the archives.After a good bit of searching,I found this:
"well..... I have a Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO and it has Alt 3-4 also...(pretty sure Mackie came up with those). When U hit the Alt 3-4 switch it sends that signal to the Alt 3-4 outputs opposed to the main out. So U can get 4 seperate outputs using the main and Alt 3-4 outputs. Or U can use the channel inserts =) "

Dave Brophy said:
Ok,I should've searched the archives.After a good bit of searching,I found this:
"well..... I have a Mackie 1202-VLZ PRO and it has Alt 3-4 also...(pretty sure Mackie came up with those). When U hit the Alt 3-4 switch it sends that signal to the Alt 3-4 outputs opposed to the main out. So U can get 4 seperate outputs using the main and Alt 3-4 outputs. Or U can use the channel inserts =) "

Bypassing the fader, EQ and mix buss is a good thing. Mackies are known for having good preamps for the price but their EQ and summing busses are not that highly regarded. But the 1202 is actually considered to have a slightly better mix buss then the bigger versions probably due to the fact that it doesn't use faders.

Back