Alesis SR--16 adding fills to user generated drum patterns

RobertRosenkohl

Alesis SR--16 adding fills to user generated drum patterns
Can this be done?
If yes, can anyone give me step by step instructions?
Thank you in advance.
Robert.

I just fired up my SR-16 to take a look. It appears that it's done the same way as a regular pattern is done, except when in Compose mode you hit the Fill button to bring up the Fill block in the LCD display and enter the hits. A or B fills can be selected also to record/compose the fill. I didn't get too deep into doing it, but it appears to work this way.

Hello Arcaxis,
thank you very much for your reply.
The problem is, the Alesis manual is not clear at all about this function.
I believe that paragraph 5.38 Add a Fill in the English manual suggests that a fill can be added
to a user generated drum pattern, without using up another pattern number.
Paragraph 5.38 does not seem complete though.
The step where the fill is to be added can be selected.
The number of beats & sub-beats the fill is to contain can be programmed. And then.....?????
Paragraph 5.38 does not explain how to go further, how to add toms, cymbles etc.
Paragraph 5.38 cannot & is not referring to adding fills to the Alesis pre programmed drum patterns.
That is easy, just press the fill button!

Can you perhaps explain paragraph 5.38 further?
Thank you in advance.

Robert.

Hey Robert,

Yeah, the manual sorta sucks :(, but I did some digging through my Alesis folders and found a pdf "Alesis SR-16 Video Tutorial Transcription" which corresponds to the video links below. I'm attaching the pdf as well. In the part 1 video at 52:15 it describes recording fills. The pdf also describes this.

You mention paragraph 5.38. In the SR-16 pdf manual I have chapter 5.3 is " Song Creation" and paragraphs are shown as 5.3A, 5.3B, etc. Not sure if you have a different version manual(?) Are you asking about placing a fill in a song or actually creating/recording a fill along with its associated pattern?

Recording a fill is done the same way a pattern is recorded, just selecting fill A or B as where you want to record it. Tried this quickly with a series of toms and a crash and it recorded OK.

A really cool feature I didn't know is that you can copy fills from other patterns to an empty fill in a new pattern or even copy a pattern itself into a different fill from any other pattern. Tried this and it does work. So if you've created fills in patterns, you can copy them to a fill position in the same or different pattern.

Get a cup of coffee when you watch these. Pretty long....

Part 1
https://youtu.be/EYdYTR_FAqM
Part 2
https://youtu.be/UZJjL0JrLrg

Attachments

• Alesis SR-16 Video Tutorial Transcription.pdf
    433.9 KB · Views: 38
Hello Mark,
many thanks for your quick reply, again.
I have watched the Alesis videos before, but I do not recall the action at 52,15.
So it would seem that fills can be added to user generated patterns.
One thing that I find not so good is that the fill is as long in beats as the pattern to which it is added.
Sorry about the manual reference, it is 5.3B
Thank you also for the pdf. That I did not have. Page 12 provides some very useful information.
I have not tried any of this out yet. On Friday, I played a 2 hour gig, so all the equipment is still packed away. Of course, if this does work, then the hard work starts for me. Finding the patterns & the associated extra pattern plus fill, to free up the pattern number with the fill.
If I had known at the begining, what I now know about the machine, then I would have done things differently. It is a learning process. If you listen to the first song that I programmed & then one of the last, you would hear the difference.
I will let you know how I get on. Bye for now. Robert.

Hello again Mark,
thank you again for the advice & information. Still not tried it out, the gear is still packed away from Friday. Sabine the Sound Lady says my expectations are too high & I am trying too hard. Why not just a few "4 on the floor" patterns used in every song. That would be boring.
I am sure that I will be contacting you again, with more questions.
Now I am not into web sites, home pages, or videos, but..... someone has uploaded a video in youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU1ScgSDb2c
If you cannot open the link, then input: Feste in Rhodt 2014 a guy in black with a guitar.
The action starts at 1:42. Now please don't forget we did not make the video, or choose the songs.
I would love to know what you think to it all!!
Robert.

Back