Akai MPK Mini won't record in Cubase Elements 6

ChrisL-D

Hello - I'm new here (but well used elsewhere!)

I've had Cubase Elements 6 for a while. It came with the Akai MPK Mini (USB) keyboard and I upgraded it to get to Elements 6. However I've never managed to get it working properly and gave up - until now when I need it to work.

I'm really a baritone sax player but want to play about with MIDI to create parts for my Ensemble and I can then email everyone a file so that they can learn their parts. So I want to simply record MIDI straight into Cubase. (And I'll be looking to buy the Akai EWI 5000 just as soon as it's available and I can get Cubase to work).

However at the moment I can't get Cubase to record the inputs from the keyboard. I'm operating a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit system on a laptop. I've run a different MIDI program (MultiTrack Studio - just the free version) and it works fine in that. I can record and playback without problem. However not with Cubase.

I've recorded a MIDI track in MultiTrack Studio and then imported that into Cubase - and that works fine! Just can't do it directly.

Up until today I couldn't even see the MPK Mini in the MIDI Port window but it's there now after I changed the USB port I was using. So I can now see it saying MPK Mini all over the place. I even get MIDI data coming in as I can see from the transport control. But it just doesn't seem to go anywhere. I've tried selecting the keyboard for input and all MIDI for input. I've tried using a simple MIDI track and I've tried an Instrument track with Halion Sonic SE but nothing. I've got monitor and record enable ticked on the tracks and am now at my wits end to understand what I've done wrong.

Hopefully it's just something very simple that I need to do and I'm now issuing this cry for "HELP" in the hope that some kind forum member will save my sanity!

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Back