Advice on Audio Interface

BuckyAW2816

Im looking to purchase a laptop for recording soon. I have read some posts that say you should choose the interface you need first then buy the laptop?
So id like some advice on what interface would suite my needs.
It needs to have at least 10 simultaneous inputs 8 for my Roland td-10 and 2 or more for mics and or guitar/bass guitar and built in pre amps to keep things portable. I will use firewire connections (seems to be the one most recomended).
Thanks in advance

Bucky

p.s Any laptop advice would also be appreciated.

For that many inputs you really need to think FIREWIRE for reliable operation.

You'll need a firewire chipset from TEXAS INSTRUMENTS - its the gold standard and others may not work on most audio interfaces. (When I bought my laptop, I knew that my intended Motu interface required TI firewire chips, so I bought a laptop with it built in and have had zero problems...)

Here's a good soundcard guide and tested suggestions: http://www.tweakheadz.com/soundcards_for_the_home_studio.htm

Bucky,

10 mic pres on one interface will defintely narrow your choices. A lot of interfaces have 8 pres, but you could add more with either spdif or coaxial. I use a couple of Firepods that I'm happy with.

Or I just realized that you might just need 2 mic pres and 8 line inputs...that would open your choices back up. :)

Hey Tim...What laptop do you use that has built in TI chipset? I'm in the market for one.

Hey Tim...What laptop do you use that has built in TI chipset? I'm in the market for one.
My Sony VAIO NR160E has a TI FW chipset (4 pin). My wife won it. Gave it to me.
http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sony-vaio-nr160e-w/4505-3121_7-32638069.html
Not listed in these specs, but shows up when running system diagnostics
It came with 1GB RAM (2X512, I swapped one 512 for a 2GB for $39 last year) Nows its a Speedy MF

I don't have an audio device for the laptop yet. But FW works good with my JVC Camcorder.
This laptop I'm using for multimedia (video) projects, but want to start doing some recording projects

Back