3 Piece Band and Home Recording

fenderdude

I'm in a 3-piece band, we have a couple of original tunes and I want to start getting into home recording. I have an old Fostex 4 track recorder. I would like to go digital. My question is this, is it better to go with a unit like the Tascam 2488, or with software like Cakewalk or Protools? I don't want to spend too much and I am looking for something that is easy to use. My computer is pretty much stock, (I have a burner) so I need to know which is the best way to go. We play all different types of music.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks

Kinda depends on how serious you are about wanting to do this longterm. If you just want to record with the band, then buy (or see if you can rent) something like the Tascam.

If you don't want to spend too much, then you can go ahead and scratch Protools off your list right now. Ultimately, computer based systems can be much more powerful and versatile, but they come with a higher cost than units like the Tascam.

I agree...get the tascam. You'll need to upgrade your pc if you want protools...i've found stock systems drag a lot when you add effects and layer multiple tracks...which is pretty much the point.

what kind of room will you be recording in?

I've heard good things about the Tascam 2488, we have a pretty good practice area, it's carpeted and room is'nt really an issue. The acoustics are pretty good as well. I also have a "music" room at my home, I'm looking that something that will be versatile and allow me to do my own stuff at home, record the band at practice and live gigs. I'd like to do some demo tracks for prospective customers etc. Many times people will as for a sample CD before they hire us. We also have some orginals I'd like to record. So you guys are recommending the Tascam, I've been leaning that way also. What are my options for expanding if I made the Tascam my center piece? During gigs, we usually mike the guitar, bass and bass drum. We all sing so that uses 6 of the eight channels on my mixer. Let me know your thoughts. have either of you worked with the Tascam or a unit similar before? :D
Thanks!

as an option , you can put together an amd athlon system with a delta
sound card that will easily do 40 or more tracks with the software i use
for about 700 bucks if you shop wisely.
just add mics , mixer, monitors , phones etc.
search under my name for more info and tips if you wish.

fenderdude said:
I'm looking that something that will be versatile and allow me to do my own stuff at home, record the band at practice and live gigs. .

What are my options for expanding if I made the Tascam my center piece? During gigs, we usually mike the guitar, bass and bass drum. We all sing so that uses 6 of the eight channels on my mixer. Let me know your thoughts. have either of you worked with the Tascam or a unit similar before? :D
Thanks!

If you want that portability, you need either a laptop-based setup or something like the Tascam that you can lug around.

For expandability, you're very limited with a unit like that. Unlike a pc where you can drop in another soundcard, or upgrade your software, the HD recorder is as is.

For live work, adding a couple of overhead condensor drum mics on the last 2 inputs would give you a better balanced sound

Back