"You've got to hide your love away" -- solo live

Nice cover, the harp could've been a little louder but not bad at all. I liked the moving background effect

Nice cover, the harp could've been a little louder but not bad at all. I liked the moving background effect

Thanks! It started as a bit of a lark, as I was experimenting w/ live mic positions but then decided to film it so I could play around with my movie editing program and delve further into what things there did (hence the 60's background effect). :)

A face, (behind a mic), to the voice.
Nice rendition.

Thanks Ray! It was a quick one off ... but it came out okay, I think. Not too many clunky notes ... just a couple ... but it wasn't meant to be studio perfect.

I'm probably going to come off as an ass here, but I think you are letting yourself down with this one. You have the audio part down. Good performance. Video though is something beyond the sound. Except for the folks on music forums, who really cares that you have a spit screen and a condenser mic? Video is about acting, not playing and recording. Music Video calls for combining both.

Take the sound track and put it on a boom box (MP3 player with an amp?). Play it while you record the video in different locations or scenarios. Shoot video with the camera and act! Then sync the sound with the video. Shoot your video from a few different angles/perspectives and mix the video in just like you would sound. It is acting so dress for the part - create an image. Don't hide behind the microphone. It isn't like you are ugly or anything.

Don't laugh too hard at my attempt here, but I think it shows what I'm talking about better than my explanation.

Winter's Night

Glen

Last edited:
I'm probably going to come off as an ass here, but I think you are letting yourself down with this one. You have the audio part down. Good performance. Video though is something beyond the sound. Except for the folks on music forums, who really cares that you have a spit screen and a condenser mic? Video is about acting, not playing and recording. Music Video calls for combining both.

Take the sound track and put it on a boom box (MP3 player with an amp?). Play it while you record the video in different locations or scenarios. Shoot video with the camera and act! Then sync the sound with the video. Shoot your video from a few different angles/perspectives and mix the video in just like you would sound. It is acting so dress for the part - create an image. Don't hide behind the microphone. It isn't like you are ugly or anything.

Don't laugh too hard at my attempt here, but I think it shows what I'm talking about better than my explanation.

Winter's Night

Glen

No laughing at all -- I get what you're saying, and that's exactly what I did with the piece below, Glen. I tried to convey something beyond the music ... and I had to play alongside a boom box doing it. :)

OTOH ... the above video was simply fooling around with experimentation of mic positioning. I spent zero time setting it up -- never even checked where my head was in the shot (I didn't know I was so far behind the screen), and really just shot the video on a lark. It was never meant to be a "real" production. I shared it only because it didn't totally suck -- even if it wasn't intended for public consumption when I started doing it. :)

I liked your video!

My nickel's worth of input (worth less than two cents).

Seems you have such a strong voice, I would make the song a little more lush and even put some verb/delay on the vocals. I think some Kettle drums in a nice space would sound really good, especially on the break. I would also suggest the break be a tad longer (it sounded more like a mistake than an abrupt stop/start), then drums lead you back into "again".

I think such a big voice as you have needs big in the back ground. I would pull out more guns to compliment that cannon of a voice. Damn nice.

My nickel's worth of input (worth less than two cents).

Seems you have such a strong voice, I would make the song a little more lush and even put some verb/delay on the vocals. I think some Kettle drums in a nice space would sound really good, especially on the break. I would also suggest the break be a tad longer (it sounded more like a mistake than an abrupt stop/start), then drums lead you back into "again".

I think such a big voice as you have needs big in the back ground. I would pull out more guns to compliment that cannon of a voice. Damn nice.

Thanks for the comments, Dave! I like the abrupt stutter there (in "LAFIW") ... but understand the transition you suggest also ... which would smooth it a bit. I've got several other projects going at the moment, but should I revisit the tune, I'll keep your thoughts in mind.

Thanks again!

Kev-

Back