Video is expensive, and other learnings...

Better equipment in terms of cameras will only make things sharper. You can still suck at lightning, framing, angles, etc... then add in your editing skill (too many cuts, color grading, synchronization with audio, etc... There are many more ways to screw up video, than audio -- and even poor audio can screw it up -- and you notice bad video no matter what you are viewing it on, too.

So it's not really the same, but parts of it are, as you say.

I just watched those 2 videos from earlier in this thread (Recolive and iOgrapher). Those don't solve what you are trying to do with "recording live". Those apps have one real purpose: live video production. They are designed to allow you to skip the editing and combining of the shots. (I realized this when people were talking about WiFi -- you never need any connectivity for recording a live performance while shooting, unless you are trying to broadcast it.) Just hit record on all 3 cameras, sit down and play live, then collect and edit. No need for OBS, or these apps for that, as you aren't streaming the output.

I've used OBS, XSplit and vMix for those types of things for streaming sports live -- and the skillsets involved are different than recording a live performance and editing later.

Those apps have a built in switcher ("go camera two" capability), that I believe isn't what you were looking for, was it?

I just watched those 2 videos from earlier in this thread (Recolive and iOgrapher). Those don't solve what you are trying to do with "recording live". Those apps have one real purpose: live video production. They are designed to allow you to skip the editing and combining of the shots. (I realized this when people were talking about WiFi -- you never need any connectivity for recording a live performance while shooting, unless you are trying to broadcast it.) Just hit record on all 3 cameras, sit down and play live, then collect and edit. No need for OBS, or these apps for that, as you aren't streaming the output.

I've used OBS, XSplit and vMix for those types of things for streaming sports live -- and the skillsets involved are different than recording a live performance and editing later.

Those apps have a built in switcher ("go camera two" capability), that I believe isn't what you were looking for, was it?
If you'd gone back a little farther, and maybe you did, you can see a couple videos from a week ago I did, which is what you describe. The problems with live capture that I have are more related to putting cameras in static locations where they cannot be actively monitored, or even accessed, and when something goes wrong, like battery, focus drift, or accidental angle change (operator in a hurry because I'm standing on a stepladder in front of someone!), changing lighting and locations of people back/forward/left/right in what might have been a good frame for group A, but not B, etc., etc.

Like I've said, just venting a little while I figure out which things I can tackle with what I have while still shelling out $ for things like storage just to keep the "investigation phase" going!

Better equipment in terms of cameras will only make things sharper. You can still suck at lightning, framing, angles, etc... then add in your editing skill (too many cuts, color grading, synchronization with audio, etc... There are many more ways to screw up video, than audio -- and even poor audio can screw it up -- and you notice bad video no matter what you are viewing it on, too.

So it's not really the same, but parts of it are, as you say.
Any sites like this you can recommend for feedback on videos, specifically about those things I emphasized in your post? (Some things, like lighting & angles, are severely constrained in the small club spaces I've been working with!)

Wow... sorry about only just seeing this now (today). Dunno how I missed it earlier...

To answer your question, I actually don't know of any "HomeRecording . com" type sites for video. Maybe the guys over at "AVForum . com" might. I have not been there in ages though. There is also "forum.videohelp . com" and actually YouTube is also your friend here too.

Last edited:
Good lord, the editing alone likely takes more time than the recording does... Over-exaggeration but damn... Not my forte...

I am currently editing a theatre production, making a composite of three separate performances, each videoed with a single camera, but focussing on different parts and at different zooms to give visual interest. So far getting the first 20 minutes done has taken 6 hours. At the rate I've only got 21 more hours to go!

6 hours? What toolset are you using? If a single "target" with 3 stationary cameras, it should be pretty straightforward (unless the tools aren't right or you are doing some serious color grading or other large changes).

6 hours? What toolset are you using? If a single "target" with 3 stationary cameras, it should be pretty straightforward (unless the tools aren't right or you are doing some serious color grading or other large changes).

It's more like three targets with a single camera. So when cutting in I have to match actions and speech. I also have to cut out jerky pans and zooms and find alternatives for those spots.

Back