www.mp3.com/tentileight

Just listened to it several times. The rain deal was reminiscent of that old Doors tune without any plagiaristic overtones. There was a very annoying pop that sounded like digital
clipping, but when I loaded it into a .wav editor, that spot in the song (3:30.5) was at least -4.4 dB on the left channel and -6.1dB on the right, while most of the song rode right at 0.0 dB! When I clicked on the location link at mp3.com (Costa Mesa) I found out why it's such a zoo at our local Guitar Center... :)

Thanks for the comment.
Any ideas what might have caused the pop? I recorded the song at a studio with a guy who had a tascam 8-track and we transferred it to hard disk using sound forge and some other tools. After that I had it mastered. I wonder if the mastering guy knew about the pop. I hope it is something that I can fix. It could have been the CD Ripper I suppose.
You close by the ole guitar center in Fountain Valley? I spend too much time and money there!

Only vague possibilities regarding the source of the pop. A piece of equipment turned on or off during the recording that either fed a signal to the mix but wasn't being used, or
a piece of equipment that sucked enough power on start-up to make another piece of equipment fart. Much less likely.
Yeah, I'm too close to FV Guitar Satan for my plastic to ever relax. It screams when I take it out of my wallet.
As to the blip removal; I've only tried some really Flintstone techniques in pursuit of such .wav file modifications. They sort of work... Close in on the suspect audio track timewise as tight as possible and drop the audio 3dB at a time until it's not as annoying.

I just tried to listen to the tune. Real Audio came up, and I waited while it did it's buffering thing. It played for 36 seconds and then - no sound. Timer continued to run. Can you suggest what I need to do to listen to the whole tune?

foo
The RA clips are not of the complete song. Do you have an MP3 player? You can download free evaluation copies like AudioCatalyst and MusicMatch.

OK, I listened to "Walking Away" in MP3 and had a couple of comments...

rain was just the slighest bit too loud but fit in very well. low to middle end of audio spectrum sounded muddy, possibly too much EQ boost in that area. Are you using a cassette 4-track? It had that kind of sound (oops, now I see you said a Tascam 8-track...pretty close though!). Vocals could have been clearer too. Nice guitar sound which could be a bit more "in front". The stereo mix was odd, not a lot of depth, try spreading the general mix around more to the sides.

This thing was recorded in a studio and then mastered? Sheesh...it sounds good for a first try on your own, but it doesn't sound as good as it should for all that expensive work. Try doing it yourself next time...you should know enough now! :-)

P.S. I looked into netvinyl.com...good luck!

hey man, that sounds real good. I like your band's sound to. Where are ya'll from and what all stuff do yall play? Email me so when can chat.
-thomas

Dragon,
Thanks! you are right it was a big learning experience and I would do things alot differently now. Well, hind site is 20/20.

I started NetVinyl.com before I ever heard of mp3.com and all the rest. Basically mp3.com and ilk are all good ideas that start out well-intentioned but seemed to be taken over by people who are trying to cash in on the internet IPO frenzy, once they get alot of traffic at their sites. I am glad they are there and we get alot of exposure. I think I will turn NetVinyl.com into a small MP3 Hosting site and a place where hopefully I can promote my band and bands that I like or produce. It is hard to get noticed on sites like MP3.com because there are so many bands on there.

Anyway, I am set up now with my hard disk recording gear and will proceed with my Waves tools to create my masterpiece! (at least I like to think it will be one) Anyway, thanks for the input and I hope to send you guys some MP3's for reviewing when I get 'em done.

thomas
E-mail me at artists@netvinyl.com. and I will put you on our e-mail list, if you like. If you check out our bio on www.mp3.com/tentileight you will see we are from Costa Mesa (Orange County Calif). We are currently working on a full length CD.

Back