The Witching Hour - Old school metal

It's pretty cool. The vocals could be a little tiny bit louder. The music sounds real bassy and full, but the vocals sound way in the back.

...the vocals sound way in the back.

Understatement of the week.

Guitars are fine, could use just a little more high end/edge to give them some definition. Simple EQ bump at 1-4khz should suffice.

The kick and snare, for this genre, are too low. The hi hat feels very right-heavy in the mix and washy. I think you have some type of chorus/pan/reverb thing on the hi hat that might be causing this. It's a good idea, just scale it back a tad?

I really appreciate the fat bass in this mix. Metal music tends to do the opposite.

Vocals are really far back.
Snare and kick definitely need to be louder.
Guitar solos are buried as well.
I agree with the hi-hat. It's going wooosshhSHHHssshhhSHHH sometimes like in the part after the solo.
Ask your vocalist if he could add some vibrato to those high notes. He has that 80's heavy voice kind of like Dio or the Judas Priest guy and I think it would really benefit your style.

Layman's opinion:

Agree with Pinky on the hi-hat, though it's not too bad.

The vocal is close to where I tend to like it in a mix, but is maybe buried just a little too much. Turn the bass down a smidgen and it might be perfect.

Ill keep playing with it and post a few other mixes. The hi-hat has no plug-ins on it so I'm not sure whats going on with that.

The vocals remind me of "green jelly" the band. I really like the song. I think the drums are lost in the mix. Snare and toms mainly. They need to come up some.

Vocal louder, Hi-hat quieter. Great grinding bass tone. Guitar tone could be more distinct at the beginning, but sounds good once the song gets rolling. Lead is just a tad weak, maybe +1dB.
Great performance. Love the ending!

Guitar solos should be more upfront.
Also agree that the vocals should be a bit more present.
Other than that, nothing really bothered me! Great job! Always great to hear some old school metal! \m/ \m/

Back