Whine Not

Xeries

Earth Member
Sorry for the corny name. I'm starting a cyber-band with that name.

This is a little ditty I threw together last year that I thought I'd share.

Some say I should lose the keys in the piece, but I like them.

Done on a TASCAM 2488, which I no longer use, but I might get back to it because my computer is driving me nuts. Freakin Dropouts. Sheese!:mad:

Hope you like it.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4876257&q=hi

While I'm usually not big on instrumentals, I like this song. To me, an instrumental needs to tell a story, same as a song with lyrics. I think you've done that here with a repeating line played through different instruments.

It's well recorded and mixed. My only nitpik is the panning scheme. You've got most everything panned out to the sides, like a dumbbell effect. Definitely keep the organ and all other keyboard parts in.

Did you play all parts or are some midi? If you've played them, then they are very good.

Cheers,

Nice tune!.. Love that mouth-bluesy-blow-in-it-device... forgot what it is in english!:eek:

Yeah +1 for panning things more somewhere in the centerfield, otherwise cool.:cool:

Panning isn't given me any grief - that's just me... Harp is sweet - sounds real (is it?). The synth with the vibrato and B3 are also pretty slick. It's a simple arrangment but the keys give it lots of variety (nice chops). Definitely keep them IMHO. I like the mix and arrangement overall...what compression are you using? It definitely has a "smooth" sound to it....

:cool::D:cool::D

While I'm usually not big on instrumentals, I like this song. To me, an instrumental needs to tell a story, same as a song with lyrics. I think you've done that here with a repeating line played through different instruments.

It's well recorded and mixed. My only nitpik is the panning scheme. You've got most everything panned out to the sides, like a dumbbell effect. Definitely keep the organ and all other keyboard parts in.

Did you play all parts or are some midi? If you've played them, then they are very good.

Cheers,

Thanks for the spin, Chili. Glad you like the tune. I do some instrumentals sparingly, I'm mostly a vocalist in my songs. I will revisit the panning scheme and load this puppy into Sonar and center some of the stuff.

I play all of the parts. All audio and no midi. I like to play harp and don't get much chance cause I don't write a lot of blues. Love to play it, though.

Nice tune!.. Love that mouth-bluesy-blow-in-it-device... forgot what it is in english!:eek:

Yeah +1 for panning things more somewhere in the centerfield, otherwise cool.:cool:

Thanks, Jouni,

The instrument is called a blues harp or harmonica. Made by Honer. Thanks for your input on the panning. I'll remix this more centered.

Panning isn't given me any grief - that's just me... Harp is sweet - sounds real (is it?). The synth with the vibrato and B3 are also pretty slick. It's a simple arrangment but the keys give it lots of variety (nice chops). Definitely keep them IMHO. I like the mix and arrangement overall...what compression are you using? It definitely has a "smooth" sound to it....

:cool::D:cool::D

Thanks, ido,

The harp is real, Honer blues harp. Probably a A in the fourth of E, I forget which. Not sure about the compression. The display window on the 2488 is way too small and I was never too savvy about mixing on it.

Mostly I just rode faders to balance the volumes just short of clipping. I understand a little more now because Sonar is more intuitive. I'm still pretty much a noob at engineering. Lots of trial and error.

Back