What genre is this music??

blkdog7

What Pro Tools *****?
I have been adding our songs to all the sites like Sound Click and Garageband and am struggling with a genre. This new project of mine is different than my past efforts so I am at a loss.

Is it Indie? Is it electronic? Is it indietronic? Pop rock? Just plain POP? Any ideas?

BTW - Is Soundclick any good for exposure? I see you guys using it all the time. How does it compare to Garageband or other similar sites?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=888694

http://www.garageband.com/artist/thekillscreens

I'd probably call it some kind of combination of pop and electronica. Your garage band compares you to the Postal Service, which I think is pretty accurate.

I'd avoid labeling yourself as "indie." It seems to me that a lot of bands use the indie label as an excuse to not learn to play their instruments or sing well. Sure you're an independent band, but that doesn't really define your sound. I'm sure I'm not the only one who tends to read "indie pop-electronica" as "crappy pop-electronica". "Independent band playing pop-electronica" sounds much better and more professional.

I'd probably call it some kind of combination of pop and electronica. Your garage band compares you to the Postal Service, which I think is pretty accurate.

I'd avoid labeling yourself as "indie." It seems to me that a lot of bands use the indie label as an excuse to not learn to play their instruments or sing well. Sure you're an independent band, but that doesn't really define your sound. I'm sure I'm not the only one who tends to read "indie pop-electronica" as "crappy pop-electronica". "Independent band playing pop-electronica" sounds much better and more professional.

Thanks for that. I think you're right. I should just lose the whole indie thing for this project. pop-electronica sounds good. Is that a genre? :)

I know rocktronica is a new genre people are talking about but it's not an option on these sites.

It's electro pop really - like Savage Garden but with a little more edge. The problem with that label is that it won't attract serious listeners.

It starts out as a kind of pop-industrial, but I would really brand it techno-pop because it isn't very heavy at all. It's good music, if anything I would say the intro and the singer's voice at the beginning is the weakest part of the tune. With a bit of exposure it should do well.

I stumbled on this topic. Knocking indie is pretty narrow. There's some great indie bands with very talented musicians enjoying extremely successful, fulfilling careers even while some of them only endeavored to be in it for their own enjoyment. Don't knock inde; you can go a lot lower down the chain.

thanks for bumping this:mad:

it's practically unlistenable, and I think the brown notes at the beginning blew my speakers

Back