Is this vocalist outta tune?

Emusic

Hi. I'm working with a young female that hasn't been singing much, but she has an "edge" in her voice that I just love. Several people that has listened to this scetch tune claims she is singing terrible outta tune almost all the time. I strongly disagree.
What do you think?
I can hear some sour notes for sure, but overall I think it's not outta tune.
And never mind the male voice at the end. Thats me just fiddling to find a prechorus.
Thanks for listening and giving feedbacks.

Last edited:
I'd say she is right, she is flat quite a bit.. but I hear what your saying...she has a nice sounding voice.. I'd like to hear her sing it with more passion and conviction. Once she developes her voice it will be very pleasing.

I'd like to hear her sing it with more 'rasp' & a little more of a 'sexy' vibe.

Heh, the more I listen to it the more I like it, cause her voice has some charm for sure.

Completely agree with Perdicament - flat quite a bit, but definitely potential, and needs more power in the performance. It almost sounds like she's holding back.

I happen to be in the same situation. Younger girl (25) not much experience recording. She seems to go flat or waver on pitch on the sustained notes. We just keep teling her, "It sounds good, but how about one more take.."
Does she think it's on pitch? If she would do multiple takes, maybe you could piece it together with the best takes. Also, if she tried singing harmony with herself, you could really hear the sour notes. Overall though, pretty good and really a cool tune.

Louddog said:
She seems to go flat or waver on pitch on the sustained notes. We just keep teling her, "It sounds good, but how about one more take.."

Why would you lie to her? Tell her the truth. You aren't doing her any favors by telling her it sounds good.

Thanks for taking the time to reply everyone.
@HangDawg
Your feedback is welcome of course. But what a feedback. Try to be more specific. Where is she outta tune?
Not everywhere - thats for sure. If shes outta tune all over, then I must stop with music coz I can't hear it :)
She doubled some of the "long" words in the start of the lines and I can for sure hear that those are outta tune.
And I can for sure hear that I'm outta tune.
But I have a hard time hearing it when she sings.
And yeah; I'm frank with her; telling her about these feedbacks and also telling her when I hear she's outta tune. No reason to not tell her; then she won't learn much. Agree on that part.

Last edited:
It sounds like she's just lacking confidence when she goes for the higher sustained notes in a few areas... Kinda like she's searching and then settling in when she finds a 'spot'.
One of the greatest vocalists I ever worked with coached me by telling me to always shoot high (sharp) when going for the notes... I was (am) guilty of the same thing when I sing, and that little bit of advice really helped...

Of course, I need waaaaay more than just THAT to fix my voice tho...

:rolleyes:

:03 to :05 Tell
:10 Never
:20 makes no sense (iffy)
:29 in my .....

and on and on......

I'm not going to do the whole thing. Just about every line has something. Some nit-picky stuff some not. And I'm not being overly critical. It's very noticeable. Even when she is on (or close), she has the tendancy to slur up to pitch slowly which doesn't sound very good either.

HangDawg said:
:03 to :05 Tell
:10 Never
:20 makes no sense (iffy)
:29 in my .....
Tnx
Some of thouse are the doubled ones. See your point.
Another one of the female vocalists is gonna meet up with her and learn her some technique one of these days.
We gonna work on it.

Emusic said:
Tnx
Some of thouse are the doubled ones. See your point.
Another one of the female vocalists is gonna meet up with her and learn her some technique one of these days.
We gonna work on it.

She'll be good one day no doubt. Just needs some coaching.

Just about the beginning of every verse where she holds the note..it starts off flat... Maybe try chainging the Key to a higher key..seems like she has trouble w/ the lower notes.... Maybe a higher key will force her to sing it a little 'louder' and w/ more conviction... I'd like to here this song again with her singing with more 'balls' and emotion... She's close, maybe just a little change in attitude.... tell her to sing it like she knows WTF she's doing... Loose the tentive attitude (or mind set, would be a better choice of words)... CONFIDENCE... Don't hold Back and Let loose..tell her to get lost in the moment. :cool:

Then tell her to go get a few Seal Albums and sing harmony to that... While she's driving along in the car...and practice like a s-o-b... she has raw talent and needs to know that!

Thanks. Actually this tune ain't her way of singing at all. She has a very powerful voice and hold back here and it's low. The idea is to soar up into the heights during the prechorus to end it very high in the chorus. We might even step up 2 half-notes after a late bridge. She has a tremendeous power in her voice and I think that some of the problems comes from singing low/holding back. Furthermore; this was one of her first takes at singing it, as we wrote the lyrics and invented the melody line.
More to come.
Thanks.

Back