Violin, Orchestra, Drum & percussion beat...

A1A2...
Thanks for your comment. Actually, the high part sounds alot better in the original wave format. Could be mp3 limitation on high freq quality. But I hear you, fella. I'll work on it again... Thanks.

;)
Jaymz

James,

Very nice job. That's quite an arrangement. As professional as anything I've ever heard. I wouldn't know where to start. Does something like this "grow as you go" or do you have it all written out beforehand.

Overall, decent synth sounds - did you use a hardware or software synth? Which one(s)? The only complaint is some of the horns sound overly electronic - especially around 3:30. Also, sounds like you favor the splash cymbal over a crash cymbal - I'd be interested in hearing the crash instead. Finally, is that a harp I hear at 2:20?

Enjoyed it.

BPOCO

My goodness, how many different instruments are on this one? Good arrangement. Nice song. Well put together.

The only thing I might change is some of the percussive stuff. For instance the cymbal that comes in at at 1:48 is not as pleasant as the other sounds. Minor thing though and just a personal preference.

Nice work.

Excellent stuff, James. You really get that cool L. Shankar, indian violin sound that I like. This indeed would make great soundtrack music.

Very Nice and professional.

We need to split the Mp3 forum between:

MP3 Mixing Clinic : Those that suck - (me !)

MP3 Mixing Clinic : Those that DON'T suck - everybody else.

It's hard for us "shitites" to put stuff up here with stuff like this on the board.

Very humbling indeed...

Thanks for a nice tune.
Dennis

Very Nice and professional.

We need to split the Mp3 forum between:

MP3 Mixing Clinic : Those that suck - (me !)

MP3 Mixing Clinic : Those that DON'T suck - everybody else.

It's hard for us "shitites" to put stuff up here with tunes like this on the board.

Very humbling indeed...

Thanks for a nice tune.
Dennis

bpoco
Thank you. Something like this is not "grow as you go" (at least I have to learn each part's character) :) But once you get used to "Orchestra", it'll whisper in your ears once you made the main line. What goes where, and when. I put 4 kind of different strings on it (plus two real violin tracks). I used Soundfonts, couple KORG synths, and acoustic guitar (2 tracks). I'll do your suggest to keep my ears on the horn & cymbals :)

TripleM
It was 34 instruments. You were right. I'm gonna have to re patch the cymbals and re mix it again. Thank you for lending me your ears :D Thanks.

DavidK
Here we go, the Almighty master DavidK :D I knew you're gonna show up & guessing exactly what I was heading for. Still the same old cheap violin here, brutha :D And it's very hard to play in tune with this baby. I should buy better one... my oh my... Thanks for coming by listening this one :)

rustyfingers
Cum ooon, you got a nice tune up there. I knew it. Keep it up and you'll get there :)

Thanks fella, I guess I'm on my way on the right dirrection here to fix the percussion & cymbals tracks. And so those horn. Tell you what, it's been very helpfull to get your comments. I'm working on it again.

;)
Jaymz

WOW! People around here are right! This needs to be a movie soundtrack! :)

How did you get those lovely orchestral-parts? Did you play them yourself?

Just one thing though... Could I suggest a different snare? IMHO the Golddrums snare just doesen't cut it. The rest of the drums are great, keep them. Try the Blue Jay-snare (I love that snare)... ;)

Thanks moskus...

How did you get those lovely orchestral-parts?
Sonar 2.2XL, soundfonts, Korg N364, and mastering Orchestra class last year :p

Did you play them yourself?
Yup... but the actual "live" instrument were only violin & guitars (electric & acoustic). The rest are recorded MIDI tracks which I did alot of editing in Sonar. And you bet, I'm gonna try the Blue Jay first place for the snare :D

Thanks alot, moskus. That was precious.
;)
Jaymz

Neat song! I myself step dancing as I type...:eek:

Mix sounds good on the crappy comp speakers!

Where do you come up with this kind of stuff? It's fluffy!

Jaymz,

That is just so good.

It's very evocative, but I'm not sure if it's Scots Celtic or Irish Gaelic. Some sort of cross-over perhaps.

I think the brass section intrudes a little for my own personal taste.

It's a great tune. You have done well. Have five stars... :)

Talent has a new master, His Supreme Excellency Jaymz Of The Planet Argo.

--
BluesMeister

Hey James,
wow man, tasty! This is really nice. Very nice midi usage. Chris mentioned small drums.... I kinda hear what he means. I hear it especially in the cymbals. They dont really sound too far back to me level-wise... they just sound small'ish for some reason. ....I know..... Im not helping at all:rolleyes: :) i really like the violins in this..... and the guits are cool too. Great stuff....... GREAT!
gw/5

Wow, another great song James! I could actually see movie scenes; like in Robin Hood style or something. Beautiful violin! Odd though, at the intro it made me think of a Jon Bon Jovi tune; the impression was shortlived when the violin started. Then at about 3:15 the violin didn't sound quiet in tune with what the guitar was doing for just a few seconds. Beautiful song!!

rats
Thanks, dude... Long time not seing you around, where have you been this months ?

BluesMeister
Looks like I got something to work on. I'm gonna fix the brass (or should I remove it from the mix...), Your highness? :D

Guernica
Ah, when it comes from you, it means alot to me. I should have listened to you guys earlier :) I'll work on the cymbals. This week I'm kinda rush to do my tune for HR.COMP CD. Probably next week I'm gonna try to fix this tune. Thanks, Guernica :)

Terriel
Wow... looks like we got a fresh ears down here. Right, it was Bon Jovi inspired me :D I was about to write rock song with this intro, but then I can't get it anywhere. So I put this intro to this song, and somehow it sounds fit just fine. Thanks for listening with fresh ears, langleyt... eerrr... Terriel... :D

;)
Jaymz

Jaymz,

Don't ever compromise your artistry. It's your tune, your arrangement and your final decision on how to present it. You're not here to please me or anyone else who has offered their advice.

The brass doesn't work for me because it seems out of place given the Celtic/Gaelic feel. But you put it in there for a reason and that reason really has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion. I meant no offence Jaymz. I know how much effort you put into your compositions.

Keep on rockin' Bro' and keep those tunes coming.

--
BluesMeister

Very impressive! What an arrangement-you are a composer James! I liked the guitar intro-reminded me of the ole mxr phaser pedal I used to have. Nice violin playing-fit well in the style of the tune. Really not much to complain about here-but I didn't like the brass sounds during the violin solo around the 3:50 mark-thats about all I can think of as a critique. Mix sounds fine-nice playing-nice arrangement.

What a great piece of music! The arrangement is excellent! The only thing that didn't work for me were the drums, which somehow didn't really fit the tune -- imho -- :) Of course, I can only listen in lo-fi and they are probably great, so don't listen to me...

I really loved all of the different instrumentation and the playing was great! You should be a composer for movies. :) :) :)

Thanks fella :)

BluesMeister
I'm not going to do drastical change in the arrangement. Still the same sheet. Just re-patching the sound (get another brass sample sound) and fix the mix :) I knew it should be great, I could hear it in my head, but somehow it's a little hard to find the right sound sample to make it sound right :) Like moskus mentioned, that I should consider another kind of snare instead of GoldDrums. I think he was right. However, I'm not gonna change how those notes being played. I appreciate your oppinion so much :)

Stratomaster & boydrj
Thanks for listening and droping those words. Glad to know you enjoyed it :)

I'll fix it these days on my spare time.
;)
Jaymz

Okay, listening first time... let's see, ethereal pad, beautiful liquid spacey guitars (nice verb)... hey, surprise! It isn't Indian, so why does it remind me of that? Now, it's a celtic folk tune! Damn, this is good music... Rhythm shift! Okay, James Argo, you're now an mp3 clinic hero. So, this song is named after yourself is it? Gee, that's lovely fiddle playing. Who played for you? Not DavidK - David doesn't have that sound together yet on his violin. That is really nice violin. Something to think about - that bridge from 2.52 to 3.28 points out a weakness in the violin sound I think - the reverb that works so well when the sound backing the violin is full on doesn't work so well I think when there are only a few instruments playing in the bridge. Can you put a drier sound on the violin during that bit and still make it work? Dunno.

Nice, nice tune. Fine mix. Hero.

HERO!

Wow,

A very interesting ride!

Alot of ground covered here! I really can't add anything to what has already been said. I'm ashamed I didn't take the time to listen to this sooner. There is a ton of work involved in this and for 1 guy to pull off an arrangement like this is humbling to a hack like myself.

Great Job

Joel

Back