views on this alt-pop-rock remix thing?

Hey, not bad man. I haven't heard any previous incarnations, but here are my thoughts.

1. The snare is like 100% top end...if you could use a meatier snare, I think it would help. I'm assuming the drums are fake, mostly because of the cymbals...the decay is about half a second, lol. I think you used waaaay to many crashes. Every other downbeat doesn't need a crash.

2. I think you could get at least an extra 5 db out of this mix without losing any of the dynamics just by using a limiter. The mix LOOKS like it was maybe just normalized it, but I'm getting a couple of digital overs...although I don't hear it clipping. Some super fast transients may be the culprit, but I don't think there's anything wrong with slapping a little of the good old L2 on here to pump it up just a bit.

3. You need to maybe spend a few extra moments on the vocal...it pops out in a couple of places, and if you're using any kind of digital workstation, you should be able to just envelope those places down a bit. For example, @ :38 seconds ("You Are Now"), that pops out pretty loudly...again @ 2:22...some other places. You know what I'm talking about, lol.

Nice tune.

Thanks Chris - I'll bear all of that in mind, although I'm not a full-on techie and will need some of it translated.
You're right about the drums - £80 zoom machine. Not bad for the price though.
I always adjust the overall volume in a wave editor so that just the very peaks go over, as you noted. No way at present of adjusting one line of vocal without remixing whole thing on MR8 (which I can't do as I have to delete tracks to make room on the sound card for the wav file). Need some tuition on using other editing facilities.
Any other views?

Back