up and runnin

Toki987

Rock Steady
here`s a little ditty I been piddling with since i got the house back in order. Not a final mix yet but comin along. The sax part aint happnin, i was tinkering with a new toy and dropped it in there.
I been really tied up lately and could only stop in briefly lately, but Yall got some good stuff going on here.... :)

jdogkbmix1

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2054&alid=-1

Last edited:
Toki!

Always exciting to see a Toki thread.
I would like a more prominent bass. What I hear sounds good, I'd just like to have it up in the mix.
The guitar sounds goooooood.
I like your drum sound.
This tune cruises nicely.
Most enjoyable Toki!:)

Dan

Nice groove Toki!

I'll wait for the final mix before any detailed suggestions.
The drum/bass groove is strong. lots of room here.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet tune Toki!Are you playing guitar?Are you into a lot of the Smooth Jazz stuff thats out these days?This sounds a lot like it.

I would like a more prominent bass. What I hear sounds good, I'd just like to have it up in the mix.

I agree! Wicked smooth Jazz.

Nice groove on this one!

There's something very odd happening with those cymbals. Extremely phasey-sounding. Almost so much I'm wondering if it's an effect you intended. Anyway, that part's not working for me, but the rest mostly is.

Mix is a little "dark" - a little more eq'd seperation between things would tighten it up.

The lead guitar in particular seems a little lost in the mix - I'd like to hear more clarity during those cool little bluesy riffs.

Chris

Thanks guys. Just wanted to drop something in to keep the membership current. I probably shouldnt have posted it yet anyway, I just been hacking on it with some new toys to get familiar. This one has quite a bit of digital distortion. I dont care much for the cymbals either. I was playing with a tube compressor and drove it too hard in the high freq area I think. Kramer the guitar player is an old friend of mine, he used one of them sweet AS200 Ibanez.

Wow, this is nice

Great playing man. At times the guitar gets almost lost in the mix, everything else is nicely layered and played.

Toki- Great ambiance on this tune man, a real live feel to it. A real musician feel to it..I enjoyed it quite a bit.

If that is you on the guitar, we should be in the same band. This stuff is right down the sweet spot for me.

Loved this immensely, downloaded, and now I get to jam with you.

Great stuff, no complaints.

remixed and cleaned up a little

Thank you guys, I think you`ll enjoy this new mix a little better. I got it cleaned up a little and remixed the levels some. I found also that I had changed the codec in a reinstall and was unaware that made the mp3 noisier. There`s still a bit of distortion that got burned in and I cant get it out but this was for grins anyway. The mixes should be gettin better from here on out.
The drums are Roland V's.

Groovin'

That distortion you mentioned: would that be the "phasiness" I'm hearing? Sounds like a well-worn cassette, or a 4-track with the highs boosted too much. Maybe it was the conversion to mp3.

Nice performance all-around. This should clean up nicely. :cool:

Re: Groovin'

M.Brane said:
That distortion you mentioned: would that be the "phasiness" I'm hearing? Sounds like a well-worn cassette, or a 4-track with the highs boosted too much. Maybe it was the conversion to mp3.

Nice performance all-around. This should clean up nicely. :cool:

:) sharp, your jus about on it Alan.. It was a completely dry live cut burned to a mp3. Thats all I had to work with. Some distortion in the bass and guitar and a slipped finger on a fader while the guy was riding a fader. The guitar and piano`s level were too low and dark. The drumkit a bit hot.
Originaly no effects , no pads, strings, percussion or horns. It`s been a good little project trying to get it sounding decent. This mix might sound a tad better.

Hi there. Nice cool groove goin' down there. Oh yeah -- and what's that thing -- space.... Nice sense of depth.

I am still getting some phasiness with the hats but it could be MP3 compression - it sounds about the right place.

I like the break about 2:00 and the keys enterring afterwards. Nice feel.

Nice timing on your solo runs up to 3:00 too.

Thanks for the listen.

Q.

Hey Ken!!!

I downloaded this a few days ago and I'm listening in cans at work. I got the old version. I'll need to dl the new version. I hear some of the things you and others were talking about in the cans, but sheeeesh…this sounds nice. I really like this tune. I will need to dl the latest and save it to my keepers folder. I like this kind of stuff.

Is that Lindsey on the guitar? Or do you have another good friend with those kind of chops :D.

Nice work man. This is nice!!

Thanks Querty, I`ll get this recording bit down one of these days.

Jagular said:
Hey Ken!!!

I downloaded this a few days ago and I'm listening in cans at work. I got the old version. I'll need to dl the new version. I hear some of the things you and others were talking about in the cans, but sheeeesh…this sounds nice. I really like this tune. I will need to dl the latest and save it to my keepers folder. I like this kind of stuff.

Is that Lindsey on the guitar? Or do you have another good friend with those kind of chops :D.

Nice work man. This is nice!!

hehe thanks J. this is not Linz, it`s another good friend I grew up with down here. The guitar player and drummer (the older guys) are the ones you met when we were up there pickin a few months ago.

Last edited:
Toki,
Just dropped by briefly to throw down a few stars... good work, sounds like something Jeff Beck should have put on the blow by blow album.

bd

Back