Unfinished punk rock mix

rewt_

I could really use your help here. I've posted elsewhere with no response and would really love some opions on the production of this tune.

It's a little unfinished. I need to do some editing and mix automation. But it's geting close. Please stick to production notes, I'm well aware of the performance flaws. =)

Thanks in advance!

Jim

Sounds raw and clean at the same time. Nice. The guitar tone works perfectly for this style of music. Everything is nice and in your face. I like it a lot.

Question, what kind of compression settings did you use on it to make it so loud?

hey jim!
The guitars (in particular) has quite a lot of room on 'em - did you mic the room separetly? It kind of takes the presence away from them and the whole in-your-face thing. Kick sounds good. OH's are sufficienty trashy :)
The snare sounds a bit weak, might need some more punch / character. I'd tweak that a little, perhaps play around with a different compression setting.
Vox could come down a db or two, but thats a subjective thing. A touch of light distortion / short delay(?) could probably fit them tighter in the mix.
I thought it sounded pretty good, over-all!

btw, was this a location / rehearsal recording? just curious.

Thanks for the replies guys! Keep them coming.

ALaz: I'm not sure what compression settings I used, but I can check for you. It was kind of done by ear, not by eye. I know I used a Waves compressor into a Waves limiter. Tried T-Racks but it gave the tracks some muck I didn't like.

ragata: Thanks! I was disappointed with the snare sound too and once I get all the tracks a little further along in the mixing process, I'm going to try running the snare out to an 1176 I got after the fact. Should give it some nice punch and character. It wasn't location/rehearsal stuff. Just an early effort to record an inexperienced local band.

Thanks GJ, Blink for the other replies. I'm going to work on the other 5 tracks, and I'll post them when I'm done if anyone is interested. The band is not my style but catchy as hell, so I'm really enjoying mixing it.

Anyway feel free to comment as much more as you'd like. Stuff like this helps me a ton. I am completely subjective to the mix at this point. Eh, it happens I guess. Whatcha gonna do?

Thanks again,
Jim

Back