Two guitar tracks made entirely with Propellerhead Reason 7 and a midi keyboard.

tyberium

Hi There,

As of 2008 I'm on a mission to create convincing sounding guitar music using midi and Propellerhead Reason. As I can't play guitar in real life, Propellerhead's Reason came to the rescue. I am now using Reason 7 for my tracks using a Midi keyboard.

Below are a few examples of tracks I made using guitars that I made with an ID8 and a lot of effects. You can download the patches for free from my website and learn how to make guitars in Reason with my tutorials.

I hope you like these example, made with Propellerhead Reason 7 and a Cakewalk A-800 Pro.

Propellerhead Reason Guitar Music 20 ("Smooth Operator") - YouTube

Propellerhead Reason Guitar Music 22 ("Through The Storm") - YouTube

Comments are very much appreciated.

Smooth Operator. I think for the genre the guitar sounded OK. I'm not a huge fan of that tone, but I think it will appeal to a fair number of people.

Through the Storm. The guitar on the right sounded a little "digital" to me. The lead on the left sounded like the guitar on Smooth Operator. The low end to this one was a little too strong.

The bass on everything sounds MIDI.

If it were me, I'd back off the reverb in all the spots it's used.

You've been at this since 2008? If you'd have spent those 7+ years learning guitar, you'd be able to play this stuff by now. :)

Hey Triple. Thanks for the comment. I like experimenting with the tone. Any tips on which frequencies work best for guitars?
I know, my bass work is a bit stale. that's a whole other ball game. Need to brush up on that. The reverb is used to make the guitar flow a bit more and mask the midi feel. It's hard to find the sweet spot. In my recent work I'm actually toning it down. Before, the whole tracks tend to get muddy due to my reverb fixation. How much would be appropriate/how fast should it die down?

The guitars are actually sampled acoustic guitars that were run through some fx:

How to create an awsome electric guitar in Propellerhead Reason 6 - YouTube

On playing guitar in real life: I've tried it a couple of times (using xbox Rock Smith), but it takes up quite some time and you have to keep practising and keeping your fingers flexible. This for me is more recreational. I know; I'm lazy :)

On the low end: I sometimes overdo it on the low end. After I made my first 11 tracks I've send them to a studio to get mastered. The unmastered versions are on youtube. The mastered versions I made into a cd, just for fun. Getting it properly mastered by someone who knows what he's doing realy helps. To illustrate: I've just recently learned to pan instruments instead of placing them all dead center.

There aren't really any frequencies that "work best" for guitars. You are not going to transform the sound of a guitar in any significant way via EQ (excepting things like "telephone voice" type EQ and other extremely radical EQ, which seldom sounds good anyway). So if your guitar has a "digital sound" to it - you're not going to fix that via EQ.

Back