Are these drums too far back?

Ex3vious

Hey guys,
I've posted a lot of tracks here for feedback recently and I commonly get feedback saying the drums are too far back and the guitars are too far foward. I'm starting to understand exactly what that means and trying to fix that. I put the reverb on the drums almost down to nothing and added reverb to the guitars. I also upped the volume of some drum parts including the bass drum and snare.
So how does this track sound, am I closer to a more balanced mix? and what else needs to be done to improve the mix?

https://soundcloud.com/ben-2014/dfa

Thanks for checking it out.
-Ben

I think the guitars are little loud, but it's not drastic. Drums are at a pretty good level, too. My issue is with the bass that's either not there or not audible. Definitely needs more bass guitar.

The actual sounds are good, though, so you're way more than half way there. I think bringing down the guitars by as little as 1-2db, and turning up the bass (or recording one) could make this really good.

Drums are not too far back, but they are consistently behind the guitars. Drums should drive the guitars, not the other way around. It'd be killer, if they were synced properly.

Other than that, I dig the grunge, dude. Good tones.

alright well there is a bass in there so I'll experiment with bringing it up a bit. I'll also try and lower the guitars just a bit, thanks for the feedback.

You can take the kick and snare (only) louder a bit if you want it's a matter of taste at this point
Also I would use punchier samples
What bother me the most is that the guitars aren't synced to with the drums...

How are they not synced properly. do you mean because in parts the drums are playing a shuffle beat but the guitar is just holding chords?

For me, I'd take the guitars down a db or two and then everything would be sitting where I'd want it.

How are they not synced properly. do you mean because in parts the drums are playing a shuffle beat but the guitar is just holding chords?

The guitar and drums do sound like they're not really playing in time with each other. It's probably some combination of mismatched styles and sloppy playing.

+1 for the bass being inaudible. I'd actually thought there wasn't one since this was a guitar/drums demo.

Getting the same feels: guitars a little loud and bass weak. Get those balanced and you've got a pretty driving tune.

I can only echo what everyone else has said. Bring the guitars down 2db and the bass up at least 2-4db. You'll probably need to EQ the bass once it's at a balanced level (it's so low right now I can't tell if it needs EQ or not).

And I agree with the timing issue. The guitar is constantly rushing ahead of the drums, which makes the whole recording sound sloppy.

Nice recorded tones on everything though. Thanks for sharing man!

I definitely can't hear the bass guitar if there is one, turning the guitars down should create the illusion that the drums are louder.

Back