Testing a pair of new mics I just bought.

Sage97

They are the naiant MSH-1A on the acoustic guitar. Very affordable.

Mics (xy) around soundhole of Taylor 03 714ce summer strummer to FMR RNP and RNC to AKAI DPS 16. Added a touch of reverb and delay in the mix.

Let me know what you guys think. It's the one called "Is it OK?"

http://www.audiostreet.net/artist.aspx?artistid=8326

By the way, Rode NTK is used for the vox. The song is a cover of a very old 70s, maybe early 80s tune. Guess who sang it and what movie its from?

FWI, X/Y is a configuration for cardiods, not omnis.

Still, your guitar sounds very nice. I didn't notice any phasing problems when I hit the mono button. :cool:

But what's up with changing the lyrics to "Here, There and Everywhere?" Weren't McCartney's lyrics good enough? :p

MadAudio said:
FWI, X/Y is a configuration for cardiods, not omnis.

Still, your guitar sounds very nice. I didn't notice any phasing problems when I hit the mono button. :cool:

But what's up with changing the lyrics to "Here, There and Everywhere?" Weren't McCartney's lyrics good enough? :p
Oops. I guess they are omnis. Was too excited, didn't use my head but my ears told me they sounded good.

Thanks.

The Beatles lyrics were the best. Mine is a cover of a counterpoint to Lennon/McCartney's HTE. Not too bad though.

Last edited:
Nice job Sage97. I'm trying to think who your voice sounds like... a cross between David Gates and Don McLean maybe. Really nice vocal. Here and there the vocal gets a little hot around 350 Hz on my system. What do you monitor on?

The gtr sounds great. Those MSH-1As have a good bass response. I'd experiment with positioning... the low notes of the G chord boom a bit. Other than those low G's the overall sound of the guitar is coming across very balanced, sweet and clear.

Enjoyed it.

Tim

One more thing - the original is from the 60's. Methinks someone needs to brush up on their musical history! ;) :D

MadAudio said:
One more thing - the original is from the 60's. Methinks someone needs to brush up on their musical history! ;) :D
I was referring to the song, "Is it OK" as the 70s song, from the movie "Fame."

Timothy Lawler said:
Nice job Sage97. I'm trying to think who your voice sounds like... a cross between David Gates and Don McLean maybe. Really nice vocal. Here and there the vocal gets a little hot around 350 Hz on my system. What do you monitor on?

The gtr sounds great. Those MSH-1As have a good bass response. I'd experiment with positioning... the low notes of the G chord boom a bit. Other than those low G's the overall sound of the guitar is coming across very balanced, sweet and clear.

Enjoyed it.

Tim
Hi Tim,

You've made that comment about my vocals before. Big compliment as Gates is a big influence on my vocal style along with C. Cross, M. Franks, JT, etc.

I use Event 20/20s as my monitors but I'm almost sure that does not answer your question. I still have a lot to learn with my AKAI - I have no clue how to look at the 350 Hz on my vocals and if I could, I wouldn't know how to fix it. By the way, I sent you a PM over at the AGF.

To clarify, the MSH-1A is used only in the song, "Is it OK." I actually used the SP C4 on the other two songs.

MadAudio said:
Ooops, hehe, nevermind. :o :D
That's OK. The guy that wrote and sang "Is it OK" was one of the actors in the TV show "ER" during the earlier seasons.

Just in case you're interested, his name was Paul McCrane.

Back